No announcement yet.

GPO not applied in xp machine

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO not applied in xp machine

Dear all

Hallo I'm newbie in this forum and really need help for my problem.

I created a new GPO in the new ou.

When I checked new gpo is applied in the server like below pic.

When I checked in the xp machine the gpo is not applied.

I followed the instruction from Petri forum How can I prevent users from writing to USB removable disks (USB flash drives) by using Group Policy (GPO)?

I already use gpupdate /force in the server didn't work.

For the information

I use SBS server 2003 and XP machine for the client.
    Can anybody help me with this issue.

Attached Files

Re: GPO not applied in xp machine

I can not tell by the pics, but have you attached it to a container?

I can see you creating the GPO under "Group Policy Modeling", but does it show up anywhere under Domains?

If it does not, you will have to attach it to the same OU that houses the XP computer.

A screen shot of the Group Policy Management window would be nice, as that can show us where all the objects and containers are.

If in asking for more details about a problem I seem to be rude, think about it this way, If I did not have to ask, I would not of been forced to be rude.

Please assume anything and everything I say to be wrong unless I have provided links and evidence, or you have done the same.
    IE: you blow your server up following my advice, not my bad

A OP is bad if I can go to and answer the question by pressing 4 buttons. "Ctrl +c, Ctrl +v".

Thanks for your advice but I create a gpo under container as you can see in my pic.
      I thought the problem is come from the user profile. I deleted and create a new profile but still it didn't work
      Attached Files

One thing to keep in mind with this GPO, if I remember correctly, is that I believe if the USB memory stick or sticks have already been connected to a PC, they will still function even though the GPO has been applied. You could try uninstalling all USB controllers and then see if it then works.
        Last edited by Virtual; 5th July 2010, 06:50.

From the images below, and it may be me, but I still haven't seen an image that shows us the GPO linked to the OU that houses the PC.

Can you please show us an image of AD, the place where the PC resides, and an image of the GPO linked to the said OU?

Once we have this, can you then perform a GPresult on the said PC again?

I have run through the same guide a few years ago and it worked a treat.

Steven Roberts
          IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Fendy6610, you linked the GPO to the OU domain\MyCompagny\Users\Test
            So it is linked to an OU assumably for housing User-objects NOT Computer-objects??
            While the policy should be linked to an OU containing the computers!! (else,, show us the content of the *.adm)

The GPResult from the XP computer you showed are only showing the computer settings, while you had (however wrongly) linked the gpo to users.

The XP client is in the default cn=Computers buildin Container. It is not possible to link GPO's to this container!

Last edited by Rems; 5th July 2010, 14:27.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts