No announcement yet.

Stopping users from accessing Restricted Sites in IE

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopping users from accessing Restricted Sites in IE

Hey all,

I'm trying to restrict users from removing sites from IE restricted sites list. I'm just wondering is its possible to do this via Group Policy?

Re: Stopping users from accessing Restricted Sites in IE

Hi Dej,

Why don't you just refuse them access to internet options in Group Policy?

Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Internet Control Panel

Steven Roberts
    IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Hey Ste,

We need users to able to access trusted sites list, but we are adding sites to the restricted sited list via a script depending on the clientname in a TS environment.

IE users using personal laptops are restricted from a certain internal site. We can not do this via the firewall/Proxy, as the proxy server see's the clientname as the terminal server.

The issue at the moment is that users can access restricted sites and remove the sites we added... bit of a tricky one.

I have tried scripting it by setting the following key in the logon script but it isn't working yet and I'd prefer to do it via GP

Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\4
      Flags = 32

Use GPO to configure these policies, a user logon script can only set preferences.

Does 'personal laptop' mean that this laptop is not joined to the domain???

Use 'Content Advisor' instead of configuring the Security zone.
        First configure the 'Content Advisor' on a reference computer. Make sure that this computer has exactly the same version of IE installed as is installed on the laptops!

configure GPO,
        Use "Import the current Content Ratings settings from your computer"
        (instead of using "Import the current security zones" for this)

via script running with admin privileges (therefore use a computer start-up script),
        All the Content Advisor settings are stored in the registry key
        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Policies\Ratings]

I think that it is possible to move them to HKCU, but then it still requires the user having admin rights to run the script during logon.
        [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Policies\Ratings]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts