Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPO Software Deployment stopgap plan advice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO Software Deployment stopgap plan advice.

Hi, I thought I'd just pot this past you all and see if i'm doing anything stupid in my plans...

We currently have Windows server 2000 and XP machines across our AD/Exchange domain (with 20 subdomains) which has been left virtually untouched and managed on a manual/ad-hoc basis for the past 7 years, going from 20-30 independantly run offices to be managed from 1 office, with some field support, over the 20 offices.

We are looking to upgrade the entire infrastructure to make it manageable next 12 to 24 months, with detailed planning going ahead for the next 3-4 months. We are looking at AD/Exchange 2008, archiving solutiosn, backup solutions and the usage of App-V with SCCM and SCOM. a BIG Project.

However, we've just been dumped our ireland offices another 6 and we are looking at some quick wins as to the ongoing management of the software. 2000 Staff in total.

We have a small team dedicated to planning and implementing a stop-gap fix for a software solution until we get SCCM put in (time lines are inflexible and we can't afford to wait). We have a mirriad of software packaged that need configuring across the estate, I hve just worked out that we will need around 35 packages/transforms for the AutoDesk products alone due to serial differences and stand alone or network.

My plan outline is to:

* Create DFS Repositories in each major site (100Mb links between most sites)
    * Create a Standard Software GPO that installs all standard products ( CutePDf, winzip, Flash player etc) linked to all machines
    * Create a Major Windows Update GPO with the large sized updates (.Net Framework, XP SP3 etc) linked to all machines
    * Create a GPO object for each Technical Software Product (AutoDesk Revit 2011, Hevacomp, Office), filtering by Security Group
    * Create Software packages and add them to the GPO's
    * Publish all remaining Windows updates via WSUS

I know this is a very basic plan, but I just wanted your views on to the general issues I could have with this. I have decided to push out the Windows updates out via a GPO due to the size and the ability to use DFS to distribute the bandwidth over the infrastructure rather than just use the central WSUS server we have at the moment.

Thank yo uin advance for any tips or expertise you'd like to throw my way. I've done a number of GPO's for software deployments before, but usually on an office by office basis.

Dave

PS sorry for the massively long post

Re: GPO Software Deployment stopgap plan advice.

Deploy WSUS to handle ALL your updates -- much easier than trying to do some over GPO
    Use central WSUS to approve updates and set up downstream ones synching approvals from central but downloading updates direct from MS -- trust me, it works excellently
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sounds like a plan, i'll look in to the viability of implementing this.

Thanks!

Comment

Should have said, the rest of it looks good for managing software deployment.
        Of course, if you can afford a distributed SCCM installation, you will have a LOT more flexibility in what you can do
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It looks liek we are definately getting SCCM but unfortuantely the company we have designing the solution for us wont implement this until the AD/Exchange setup has been rationalised, or as a part of it anyway. We are still in the information gathering stage and as such these things take aaaages

Comment

Working...
          X