Client/Server data redirection Vs Environment Tab

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client/Server data redirection Vs Environment Tab

This is either the biggest annoyance or I am missing the reason for this. Why Terminal Services\Client/Server data redirection GPO setting is part of the Computer Configuration rather then User Configuration? ... while the Terminal Services Environment Tab (which has 3 options that are also in the named GPO setting) is part of the User Object Properties in AD. Shouldn't that GPO setting be a User setting?

What is the reason for this inconsistency?

Thanks for everyone's input

- A
    Last edited by RKD1979; 23rd June 2010, 23:21.

Re: Client/Server data redirection Vs Environment Tab

Microsoft
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Really? That's your answer?

Comment

(sigh)
        Given there are some 2400 different GPO settings, it is likely that people will disagree with the location of some of them. Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, have put these TS settings under computer configuration.

The probable reason (or at least my best guess of it) is that you would want to apply the same settings to everyone connecting to a TS, regardless of which OU their account is actually in. Alternatively it minimises the number of places the GPO must be applied (the OU containing the servers rather than the domain or all possible user OUs).

IMHO life's too short to worry why something is, just accept there may have been a reason at some stage
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

... Yeah well. I thought there is a clear reason for this that I am missing, as per MS. It is very misleading especially in this case - because logically this setting pertains to the User account; It is confirmed by the fact that the drive/printer redirection options are present in the AD User Object properties and in the RDP client as well - MS essentially lets the user himself pre-define those options prior to logging on to a TS. At the least id like to see those options in both Computer and User Config.

As far as you final comment - perhaps so, although sometimes I find that if I know the reason then i feel more confident planing or working around things.

Thank you
          Last edited by RKD1979; 24th June 2010, 18:29.

Comment

Working...
          X