Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to manage IE8 settings in GP on Server 2008 STD, SP1, 32-bit Domain Controller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to manage IE8 settings in GP on Server 2008 STD, SP1, 32-bit Domain Controller

First of all thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Second I did do a search and found a similar thread from June 18th, 2009 from member MLABS https://www.petri.com/forums/node/38252
    but copying inetres.adm to folder %SystemRoot%\inf doesn't seem to give me what I'm looking for. Also, the folder "ADM" as suggested to be located at %SystemRoot%\system32\GroupPolicy\Adm doesn't exist on my Server 2008 DC.

Here's what I'm looking for:
    I need to have the ability to edit IE8 settings just as I can with IE5,6 and 7 located here in GP:
    User Configuration / Preferences / Control Panel Settings / Internet Settings
    When I right-click on Internet Settings / new there is no option for IE8, only IE 5,6 and IE7.

Here's what I've done:
    1) Installed IE8 on the DC
    2) Copied inetres.adm to %SystemRoot%\inf and then added the template by right-clicking on User Configuration / Policies / Administrative Templates / Add-Remove Templates. I then removed the old inetres.adm and added the new one.

Any help with this would be much appreciated
    Much thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Rems; 27th June 2010, 14:06. Reason: added [thread] tags around the link

Re: Unable to manage IE8 settings in GP on Server 2008 STD, SP1, 32-bit Domain Contro

53 reads and no comments

am I at least on the right track with loading the inetres.adm to populate what I'm looking for?

Does IE8 need to be installed on both DC's?

Here is a link to a picture that might clear up any questions (once again this is my 1st post and it will not let me post links yet so please remove the <spaces> when copying/pasting address into browser

h t t p://img535.imageshack.us/img535/508/ie8fh.jpg

once again, many thanks in advance
    Last edited by kanaloa; 18th June 2010, 19:50.

Comment

Re: Unable to manage IE8 settings in GP on Server 2008 STD, SP1, 32-bit Domain Contro

Originally posted by kanaloa View Post
      53 reads and no comments
      It's only been a day since you first asked the question. When someone reads the thread and has something useful to contribute, they will do. Until then, please be patient.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Is anyone running Server 2008 on Domain Controllers that can currently manage the IE8 settings that I'm looking to control via GPO?

If so are you running Server 2008 R2 or Standard?

Comment

Server 2008 and Server 2008 R2 are two different products. Standard, Enterprise and Datacentre are the editions these products are available in.

In any case, this was working fine for me at my last company on Server 2008 Standard.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

thank you for letting me know that this is possible in 2008 STD.
            Can you confirm that the controls were available once you loaded the inetres.adm the same way I'm trying to?

Comment

I do not believe that an adm template will give you any new preference options, I think they're just legacy, pre-preferences stuff.

This thread seems to imply that you will need to use the inetres.admx and .adml files.
              http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...e-f004044c6dde

These do not get copied to the %systemroot%\inf folder, they go into c:\windows\policydefinitions for the admx file and the en-us subfolder for the adml. I'd try to get them from the reference download if it were me.

Comment

I think you need Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 with RSAT to
                have the improved Internet Settings preference extension with the addition of Internet Explorer 8 preference items.

\Rems
                Last edited by Rems; 25th June 2010, 21:24.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

My solution:

Install "Remote Server Administration Tool" on a Windows 7 Professional box
                  I am now able to control the IE8 preferences via GPO but it has to be done on this Windows 7 box and NOT the domain controller (Server 2008 STD)

Thank you all for your help and reputation points are coming soon

Some things to note:
                  • I did not need Server 2008 R2

• Installing the "Remote Server Administration Tool" on a Vista Business box did NOT provide what I was after

My short vent - It baffles me that I now have to have a separate box (Win7 Pro) in order to maintain IE8 settings in my domain.

Thank you all so very much for your time!

Comment

Working...
                  X