Group policy query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group policy query

Hello, sorry to be a bother this is my first post here and it starts with a query, rather than an answer.

Could someone tell me if there is any way I can set-up group policies to run the below on all Domain Controllers in a Windows 2008 R2 Based domain.

Cache Optimization set to File Server
    Default Staging Area Size Defined

Even though all the domain controllers are windows 2003 R2 64-bit, the schema has been extended upto Windows 2008 R2.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Thanks.

Re: Group policy query

uhm. I suspect that even if the schema has been updated to the 2008 level schema, the group policies won't apply to 2003 servers anyway, as they may not necessarily be valid... ?

Could you also tell me exactly what sort of caching you are trying to configure here ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

What do you mean by "Windows 2008 R2 Based domain", if all the DCs are 2003?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Moved to GPO forum
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          Could you also tell me exactly what sort of caching you are trying to configure here ?
          The below

Start > Run > ncpa.cpl > hit Enter.
          Go to the Properties of Network Connection this is your Main Prod Connection
          Goto to the Properties of "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" , should be set "Maximize data throughput for file sharing"

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
          What do you mean by "Windows 2008 R2 Based domain", if all the DCs are 2003?
          The forestprep and domain prep for a 2008 RC 2 schema has been run, so the schema has been extended to allow for 2008 RC 2 domain Controllers in the future. I added that only as some background to how I'm configured.

Also the other point about the "Non-Default Staging Area Size Defined"
          is set via a registry key,
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NTFRS\Parameters
          Working Directory REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemRoot%\ntfrs
          File Inclusion Filter List REG_SZ
          Mutual authentication is [Enabled or Disabled] REG_SZ Default (Enabled)
          Staging Space Limit in KB REG_DWORD 0xa5000

but can be enforced via a GPO.... I've heard but cannot find anything in my Admin Templates that helps with either of these settings above. Hence my question.

Comment

Originally posted by cngn View Post
            I've heard but cannot find anything in my Admin Templates that helps with either of these settings above. Hence my question.
            Are you aware of the fact that even if your domain is prepared for 2008R2 (BTW, you're not talking about 2008 RC2, that was released back in 2007, are you?), you will need to run the GPMC from a 2008 or later (Vista, Windows7 or 2008R2) computer to be able to see the extended options?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Thanks for that Sorin,

I have been using the New version of GPMC on a Windows 2008 R2 server, which shows all the extended options and also preferences which the windows2003 version doesn't show.

Nope and this isn't the RC build it is the R2 build.

But still no luck....

Comment

Working...
              X