Create shortcut to mapped drives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create shortcut to mapped drives

Now that I have used GP to map drives: http://blogs.technet.com/b/grouppoli...ng-drives.aspx

Drives are mapping fine but...

How do I create a desktop shortcut to the drive? I have tried GP and used update, replace, create, etc... I apparently don't have something right.

Screenshot attached of what I am talking about.

(using server 2008 standard and windows 7 64 bit)
    Attached Files

Re: Create shortcut to mapped drives

Backwards approach:
    Since the shortcuts are to drive letters so will not change from computer to computer,
    Create them somewhere else (on a network share)
    Write a script to copy them to the user desktops on logon

alternatively, how about desktop redirection to a central location
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ok, I'll just use my regular logon.vbs file and let it copy them twice... guess it doesn't hurt anything, I just thought that would be an easier method.

Comment

How about an "if" to check if one of them is already present?

There may well be easier ways.... In your screenshot above, change the NAME (line 2) to the shortcut name and see what that does
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Here is what I ended up with and it's not creating the shortcut.
          Attached Files

Comment

I found creating shortcuts using GP CSEs to be a bit of a pain, it was far simpler to write a script to call Shortcut.exe from Optimum X to do the job instead.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Ok, I have done it via script. I was more looking to learn how to do it using GPO specifically so I knew how to do it.

Allen

Comment

Originally posted by chakotay2 View Post
                Here is what I ended up with and it's not creating the shortcut.
                You have to configure this in Computer Configuration\Preferences\Windows Settings\Shortcuts, and target the "All Users Desktop" instead of "Desktop". Link the GPO to the OU tree where the Computers are.
                It cannot be done at user logon because users are not allowed to make changes at the All Users Desktop.

And yes, NAME (on row 2) must be the shortcut name (a valid file name).

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
                X