X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to clean up old and unuse GPO in \SYSVOL\domain folder

Hi all,

I found many folder in \\dc\SYSVOL\domainname\Policies and it's size is big

However, now only 5 GPO are recently using. I think after I delete GPOs, actually the GPOs are still kept in Sysvol folder

So how can I delete unuse GPO to reduce the size of SYSVOL folder?

My DCs include both WS2K and WS2K3

Thanks in advance!

Re: How to clean up old and unuse GPO in \SYSVOL\domain folder

When you delete the GPO from GPO Manager are you actually deleting the GPO's or just the links?

There should be a folder that says Group Policy Objects. Try deleting them from there.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

How big is it? I think you average out about 4mb per policy.

But as Michael says, make sure you delete the GPOs not the links -- this will definitely delete the objects in Sysvol/domain/policies
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

I think I delete only the link, not actual GPO.

I found 153 items in Policies folder and it's size is 300MB.

Can I delete other items except for the items relate with 5 recent GPOs? Is this action made any error for our system?

Comment

Originally posted by huyenthu View Post
          Can I delete other items except for the items relate with 5 recent GPOs? Is this action made any error for our system?
          Only you can make that call. I would ensure that you definately don't require them and they are definately not in use.

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

If you are sure that a GPO is not applied (linked) anywhere (remember to look in sites as well as domains) and if you are sure it is no longer needed, you can delete it.

IMHO, 300Mb is not worth fussing about
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for your answers so much!

Comment

Working...
              X