deploying office 2007 with group policy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deploying office 2007 with group policy

guys, I need to deploy office 2007, but I want to do it through GP, for that do I need to create an msp file? or the msp file only works with setup.exe. I believe in office 2003 you would do a setup.exe /a install to a share folder, and then assign the msi through GP.... but that no longer applies in office 2007.... what is the correct way?

thanks

Re: deploying office 2007 with group policy

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc179214.aspx
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

well, I can deploy just fine following the guide and using EnterpriseWW.msi with the config.xml file. But even though I entered the product key in the config.xml file, still prompts me for product key after client opens any office application.... what am I missing here?

thanks

Comment

I don't know if microsoft made a mistake with office 2007 and GP, but this used to be really simple; anyway, I went the script route and decided to create an msp file and call it during setup. But there's a caveat, and is asking for credentials during install at client. I don't remember the name of the application, but there used to be a little app that allowed you to save the admin credentials, instead of putting them on the script and passing them in the clear during install... if any one remembers please share

thanks

Comment

Use a computer startup script instead of a user logon script.
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I did like you mentioned, but for some reason the gpos that I apply with computer setting are not taking effect...
            here's the result of gpresult /R at client

Code:
             The following GPOs were not applied because they were filtered out
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Block Removable Devices
                      Filtering:  Not Applied (Empty)

Default Domain Policy

Local Group Policy

Deploying Office 2007
            does this mean I have to block GP inheritance at the ou for it to take effect, or that it is contradicting another one, if I remember well OU is the last gpo to apply so that should take precedence.... correct me if I'm wrong. By the way, I have users and computers inside this OU

thanks
            Last edited by miatech; 26th April 2010, 08:34.

Comment

thanks for the help, got it working.... but that brings me to another questions, what would prevent the script from running again, or better yet how to check if office has already been installed on that computer, and prevent the script from trying to install again.... or that way of installing is meant to apply and restart clients and then remove the policy?

thanks
              pctechtips.org

Comment

Can you post the script you have there so we can have a better idea?
                But in general try adding this to your script before the MSP file is called:

Code:

if exist "%programfiles%\Microsoft Office\Office12" goto exit

:exit
                exit
                It checks if the Office 2007 is installed and it won't start the installation if that's the case.
                Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                  Can you post the script you have there so we can have a better idea?
                  But in general try adding this to your script before the MSP file is called:

Code:

if exist "%programfiles%\Microsoft Office\Office12" goto exit

:exit
                  exit
                  It checks if the Office 2007 is installed and it won't start the installation if that's the case.
                  yeah, I thought so... your script is checking for office existence and exiting... my script is really simple

Code:
                  \\server\share\office\setup.exe /adminfile \\server\share\office\updates\office.msp
                  I will put the peace of code you just provide right before mine

thanks
                  pctechtips.org

Comment

ok, the weirdest thing is happening. GPresult is showing that "deploy of office" is filtered; however, it is getting installed. Could someone explain?

Code:
                     The following GPOs were not applied because they were filtered out
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                         Deploying Office 2007

Local Group Policy

Default Domain Policy

Block Removable Devices
                    thanks
                    pctechtips.org

Comment

Working...