Desktop Folder Redirection in a 2003 domain environment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desktop Folder Redirection in a 2003 domain environment

I was inquiring about an issue I am having with desktop folder redirection in an 2003 domain environment, where my users will need to log off an log in several times for their desktops to appear, clients are XP pro SP3. and also throughout the day their computers will randomly go offline and they will manually have to sync again, the problem is when they go offline, they are unable to print to network printers or access any of the network shares,etc. this is getting very annoying and of course the one person it happens to the most is the President of the company. ( He is using a laptop but I have him plugging in and NOT using his wireless card.) also when he does leave the building and comes back in and eventually gets his desktop back, all of his Icons are rearranged causing him to have to place them back in the order he wants them??

Re: Desktop Folder Redirection in a 2003 domain environment

Hi

First of all I'd start by troubleshooting group policy application on a logged on PC that doesn't appear to have the folder redirection applied.

From a command prompt run gpresult - this will check what policies have and have not been applied.

If required to go a bit deeper run gpresult /v - this will give a lot more information. I always prefer to pipe th output to a text file as it's easier to read - gpresult /v > C:\gpresult.txt

If you have no luck with the above then turn on Usr Environment Debug Logging.

To turn this on create a new registry value under

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Create a new DWORD value called UserEnvDebugLevel

Enter the value as 10002 or to go really deep 30002 (be aware this needs to be entered as a hexidecimal value) I would recommend 10002.

Run gppdate /force to force a full refresh of group policy.

The userenv.log file can be found in %windir%\debug directory.

The client side extension for folder redirection is fdeploy.dll so you might want to filter the data in userenv.log

p.s Just remember to delete the UserEnvDebugLevel key when you're done.

Comment

It is not clear whether you might be losing network connectivity. Does this happen only on laptops or on the desktops as well. Anything logged on the events.
      As well as Hanley's suggestion you can have a look at the folder redirection logging to rule out any folder redirection issues created as below:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics
      Set: FdeployDebugLevel = Reg_DWORD 0x0f
      A log file, Fdeploy.log, is created and stored in the %windir%\debug\usermode\ folder

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...94(WS.10).aspx
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
        have a look at the folder redirection logging to rule out any folder redirection issues created as below:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics
        Set: FdeployDebugLevel = Reg_DWORD 0x0f
        A log file, Fdeploy.log, is created and stored in the %windir%\debug\usermode\ folder

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...94(WS.10).aspx
        Thanks L4ndy

I didn't know there are specific folder redirection troubleshooting logs

Comment

Originally posted by Hanley View Post
          Thanks L4ndy

I didn't know there are specific folder redirection troubleshooting logs

No worries mate,
          That's why it's worth sticking around the forums here, I learn a lot every time am here and pass it on.
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
          X