Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 server with WSUS on a 2000 domain

Hi Guys.

I just need to make 110% sure about this before i go ahead with the installation and configuration of everything.

I have 3 servers running as domain controllers, each of them are on a different site and running active directory and dns and dhcp. They are all running 2000 server.

I now want to find out if i can add a 2003 running WSUS. But i won't be running dcpromo on this box, i will just be running it as a member server. Is there anything i should be aware of?

Does anyone else here run WSUS on there networks? Is it a good product?

Re: 2003 server with WSUS on a 2000 domain

I've been very impressed with WSUS so far, a lot better than SUS.

I can't think of anything you need to be aware of, it's just a member server, no updates will be taken from the server until you setup your GPO settings for it anyway.

topper
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Damn that was fast!!

Kewl, so i have at least chosen the right product for the job. :P

Thanks very much topper i really appreciate the speedy response. Will let you know how it goes, will give you a shout if anything crops up on this side.

Comment

I too have been using WSUS and very impressed with it - Especially the reporting aspect of it.

not going to complain for free
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi there.

I have come across a problem.

I am going to be installing MSDE2000 as the database instance for my WSUS to use. I know i have to set a password in the INI file before install takes place.

Now after the installation i am trying to run the service pack for the MSDE2000 but it is giving me an error of "the instance name specified is invalid" Is there something that i am not thinking off?

Comment

OK so i finally went the Server 2000 installation way instead of MSDE.

I now have everything installed, but when i go to a client machine and type in http://server nothing happens it gives me a underconstruction error. Am i forgetting to do something here?

Comment

URL should be http://server/wsusadmin
              Michael Armstrong
              www.m80arm.co.uk
              MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi M80Arm.

The server can get to the admin site, but i can get my clients to get to the site to run updates? which should be http://server.

Do i have to create my own website for WSUS? Or is there a default website added to it that one can use?

Comment

You cant use WSUS to update client like you can when you visit www.windowsupdate.com - It doesn't support that.

WSUS can only be used to apply patches via group Policy. You need to create a new GP and apply it to a an OU where all your computer accounts are - If they are left in the computers container then you need to move them to an OU becuase you cannot apply GP's to a container.

You need to edit the GP and point it to your server. All clients in the OU will then contact the WSUS server to report what updates they have installed and need. You then need to approve the required updates. The clients will download the updates and install them according to the GP

Hope this makes sence

Michael
                  Michael Armstrong
                  www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

OK.

OK so what i basically have to do is prevent users from launching windows update and set up through the Windows Update administrative template in the GPO's and specify all the settings in there.

So what will happen is that the clients pc will be set to fetch the patches etc etc from the server specified? So you won't be able to few a website like as if you had to launch Windows Updates from the start button?

OK this is all making a little bit more sense now.

Comment

Correct.

good luck

Michael
                      Michael Armstrong
                      www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

OK great.

I now have let my WSUS server synchronize during the whole weekend. It raped my lines pretty well as far as i can see.

I have created a GPO in a OU that has just to do with WSUS, i have added the Windows Update Administrative template and gone through and added the WSUS server to the GPO etc etc... However the Pc's in the OU with the WSUS do not show on the WSUS server. I have created a testing Group on the WSUS admin site and directed the clients in the OU using the WSUS GPO to that server, but yet it still does not show on the server.

Once again am i forgetting to do something?

Sorry about bugging you guys like this, but as i am sure you guys know new software is a bit of a bugger. Always good to get help from people that have used it before.

I really appreciate it.

Comment

Whn you go to the 'Computers' option are they not in the unassigned group?

Do you use GP to move the computers into a certian group?

Michael
                          Michael Armstrong
                          www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Nope not in the unassigned group at all. Even if i create a group and set the GPO to that specific group it still doesn't go in there.

Yeah i have created a group called IT and in the GP i have set it to the group IT as well, but yet nothing appears on the server.

Comment

have you specified the server and statistic server as:

http://servername and not \\servername?

I have included a copy of my GP
                              Attached Files
                              Michael Armstrong
                              www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X