Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic installation of language packs

Guys,

I have a requirement to install the chinese and russian language packs on all our machines. Is there an automatic way of doing this. Had a look through group policy but there doesn't look to be an option to do this.

Majority of machines will be XP and only a handfull on win2k

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Automatic installation of language packs

What type of language packs do you want to install??

Is it a language for the OS or for office??

Comment

Not too sure which one does what.

Basically we have a chinese website and when some of our users visit the site they just get a load of squares instead of the chinese characters.

Not too sure which language pack would resolve it

Thanks

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hmm not too sure about his one either. It may be the IE language packs you need installed.

This may help

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...e/install.mspx

http://cls.admin.yzu.edu.tw/cview/ViewChinese.html

Comment

You're talking about the MUI packs, right? If so, they usually have MSI installers which should be ok to install VIA GPO. Did you try that?

Also, not that you can link installations of almost anything to your unattended installation of the OS.

See

http://unattended.msfn.org

for some great examples.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

MUI change the actual OS to the required language i.e. start menu in french correct?

If so then all I need is the language packs to display chinese charracters within IE. I dont need to change the language of the OS just allow my english users to view chinese characters on a website

Thanks for the input guys

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

The second link i provided shows you how to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm
                MUI change the actual OS to the required language i.e. start menu in french correct?

If so then all I need is the language packs to display chinese charracters within IE. I dont need to change the language of the OS just allow my english users to view chinese characters on a website

Thanks for the input guys

Michael
                Then no, you don't need the MUI. You just need to add support for the languages you need from the Regional Settings applet in Control Panel.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thank for clearing that up

Michael
                  Michael Armstrong
                  www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X