TS Group Policy Settings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS Group Policy Settings

Forgive me for posting this twice. I did not see this forum before and I posted this in the wrong one.

Hello All,

I have a question relating to applying group policies.

I have some Terminal Servers which have local group policies on them. In these policies I have set the settings “Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Terminal Services\Set path for TS Roaming Profiles” and “Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Terminal Services\TS User Home Directory” for specific locations and drive mappings.

The problem I have is that I am trying to vary these locations based on user OU’s. For example if a user logs in from OU “A” I want certain locations to be used for these directories, and if a user logs in from OU “B” I want other locations to be used.

I have tried this with Group Policies, but it seems as though I can not override the locations specified in the local policies this way.

Is there any way, by Group Policies, to do what I am attempting to do? Or is my only option to remove these settings from Group Policies and add them to the user properties in AD?

Re: TS Group Policy Settings

Note that Computer policies only apply to computer objects and User policies to User objects.
    Couldn't you use the Terminal Services Profile tab in the User account properties instead?
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Re: TS Group Policy Settings

Hello, thanks for the response.

That's basically what I am going to have to do I guess.

I was hoping that through some combination of user OU policy and machine OU policy I might be able to do this. (And yes, I do understand about Computer Config vs. User Config). I guess I just don't understand why the TS profile stuff is available only as a Computer Configuration item. Seems to me they SHOULD be User Config items.

I have a couple of problems with this. Neither is insurmountable but they are drags nonetheless:

1) All my existing user accounts will have to be changed one by one as the Terminal Services page is not available when you choose properties of multiple items.

2) Setting Terminal Services accounts on a template user and then creating a user from that template does NOT create the Terrminal Services information. Every new account I create will have to have the TS stuff created manually.

These two reasons are why we started setting TS locations via GPO in the first place.

John

Comment

Working...
      X