Group policy Import/Export

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group policy Import/Export

Looking for a simple tool that will export a GPO from one domain and import it into another. I don't want to go through and make all 300 changes again. Also, looking to backup the GPO this way. Anyone know of a tool? I have looked into GPMC, but cant get it to do what I want. Thanks.

Re: Group policy Import/Export

W2K3 or W2K8?

Comment

2003 enterprise

Comment

In "C:\Program Files\GPMC\Scripts" there are several scripts for creating XML files from your environment and creating an environment from XML (CreateXMLFromEnvironment.wsf and CreateEnvironmentFromXML.wsf).

There are various options for what's created in the XML and what's created from the XML. This was Microsoft's way of allowing you to "transport" Group Policy from one environment to another (dev to prod, etc.).

Comment

In GPMC, right click a GPO (not the link) and select BACKUP -- or right click the GPO container and BACKUP ALL
          In the other domain IMPORT the GPO from the backup file

Also look in GPMC at the "Migration Tables" which handles information specific to the domain when moving GPOs
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            In GPMC, right click a GPO (not the link) and select BACKUP -- or right click the GPO container and BACKUP ALL
            In the other domain IMPORT the GPO from the backup file

Also look in GPMC at the "Migration Tables" which handles information specific to the domain when moving GPOs
            I've tried this method and not found it to be very effective. Each GPO gets backed up in it's entirety to a folder named after the GUID of the GPO (the same way it's stored in sysvol) with all of the accompanying folders and files. You then need to copy this folder, in it's entirety, to the other domain and import it. I've never seen this work particularly well.

The scripts I referenced in my post work pretty well for "transporting" GPO's between domains.

Comment

Hi

Well I would agree with Osian , The GPMC backup method works pretty well util you are taking care of the migration table.

Please read further about it, this could be your solution, to begin with
              http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...58(WS.10).aspx

I am not sure of the XML script method but would not doubt it.........

Karan
              Pledge technologies
              Best Regards,
              Pledge Technologies

Comment

This is what I seem to be having a hard time with. Where are the backup options?
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks like you are bit confused here... As Ossian clearly specified.. "In GPMC, right click a GPO (not the link)"

You'll find the option to Backup only on the GPO, the one you have in the snapshot is a link on the OU.

You need to browse to Group Policy Objects Container and there you see the GPO. Right Click.. backup.. and follow the steps as provided previously.. or use the link:: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx
                  Its worth clicking on this link once.. try it.. its exactly showing what you are missing..

Sameer,
                  Pledge Technologies
                  Best Regards,
                  Pledge Technologies

Comment

Absolutely!
                    In the picture, go down three folders and you will see one called Group Policy Objects
                    Inside it you will see your actual GPOs

Joe, I've not used this cross domain, but have had no problems backing up settings from one GPO and importing them into another in the same domain
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                      Absolutely!
                      In the picture, go down three folders and you will see one called Group Policy Objects
                      Inside it you will see your actual GPOs

Joe, I've not used this cross domain, but have had no problems backing up settings from one GPO and importing them into another in the same domain
                      Me too and it works very nicely in the same domain. I believe the OP wants to copy them from one domain to another though. I've found the scripts to be the easiest method for doing that.

Comment

Working...
                      X