Trouble Deploying Excel 2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble Deploying Excel 2007

I'm trying to deploy Excel 2007 to some of our PCs. I've created a GPO and package using the directions on the TechNet site Deploy by using Group Policy Software Installation. I'm also filtering the GPO by computer so it is only applied to the correct clients.

Now, gpresult shows that my Excel deploying GPO was applied and the event log says, "Changes to software installation settings were applied successfully." but that's it, Excel 2007 doesn't get installed.

What am I missing?

Thanks.
    Last edited by mhashemi; 1st December 2009, 21:42. Reason: fixed link text

Re: Trouble Deploying Excel 2007

there's two sorts of software deployment, publishing, and another type.. one type makes it available for installation via add/remove programs, another type makes it available for install on first use..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Just to add to Tehcamels thought there.. the other one is Asigning it.

Can you clarify which method you have used and wheather it is a User or Computer policy?
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Right, the policy is set to assigned because that's the only option available when deploying via Computer settings.

Comment

Is the GPO linked to the OU where the computer objects are?
          Have you tried it without the security filtering, just leave the defaults.For troubleshooting purposes I recommed linking a separate GPO to a separate OU rather that using security filtering?
          Can you install the excel MSI locally?
          What version of MSIexec is on the client?
          Any slow link detected?
          Can you post a gpresults?

Ta
          Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
            Is the GPO linked to the OU where the computer objects are? Have you tried it without the security filtering, just leave the defaults. For troubleshooting purposes I recommed linking a separate GPO to a separate OU rather that using security filtering?
            Created test OU and linked GPO to it. I left the default security filtering (Authenticated Users) and added just the one PC to the OU. Fail

Can you install the excel MSI locally?
            Nope, I get Error 1713. Microsoft says you aren't supposed to be able to install from just the MSI. WTF?

What version of MSIexec is on the client?
            Don't know, whatever comes with XP SP2 I suppose.

Any slow link detected?
            This is all at our HQ site so it's over 100Mb ethernet

Can you post a gpresults?
            I could, but it's easier to just tell you that I can see the GPO to install the software is listed as having been applied.

Comment

I wasn't aware there was a restriction from MS on running the MSI localy. Not sure the reason behind it either!! It makes no obvious logical sense to me.

Can you have a look at the Userenv.log file for a better insight.
              If not enabled or to increase the debugging level have a look here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221833
              Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I think I've found the root of the problem, but I don't know how to fix it.

When I try to run the Group Policy Result Wizard against any PC in the domain, I receive the following error:

Code:
                Failed to connect to <computerName> due to the error listed below.  Ensure that the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service is enabled on the target computer, and consult the event log of the target computer for further details.

Details: The RPC server is unavailable.
                I am able to connect to the Computer Management MMC on the remote PC, and can see that the WMI service, and RPC service are started. The RPC Locator service is not, but starting it doesn't seem to make a difference. There are no errors or warnings in the event log related to this issue. I am also unable to access the Disk Management portion of Computer Management due to the RPC server being unavailable.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Comment

Anyone have any idea where this might be fixed?

Comment

Windows or third party firewalls blocking it?
                    Any events logged?
                    Have you enabled verbose logging as suggested before, might get a better insight.

Also See this: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;875605
                    Give the WMI Diag tool a go as well: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
                    Last edited by L4ndy; 7th December 2009, 16:49. Reason: Link Added
                    Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                    X