Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

windows update error on AD2003 clients (gpo settings)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows update error on AD2003 clients (gpo settings)

Hi
    Every time I try to install a hot fix or another update I get this error Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x8007f004:
    DC is 2003 and clients are xp pro
    I have changed the GPO settings and tried administrative templates---windows components---windows update. Nothing helps... always the same error.
    The clients are downloading the updates now with the new GPO settings. But they canít install them something is not configured correctly in the GPO I thing.
    i have attached a pic from the dc gpo settings
    Thanks for any help.
    Attached Files
    MCSE 2000 Done
    RHCE Done

Error code 0x8007f004 relates to you not having sufficient permissions to install the relevant update/s.

Can you install the updates as the administrator??

Comment

i have tryed it...
      local administrator
      ad user account
      and domain admin account

and it dont work.
      MCSE 2000 Done
      RHCE Done

Comment

Have a look through your GPO's as there is something blocking the install.

Comment

i am 100% sure its in the gpo.
          but i dont know where to start looking
          is there some kind of conflict report or somthing i can use?
          or another place where i have to configure something?
          MCSE 2000 Done
          RHCE Done

Comment

Within the Group Plicy Management Console there is a Group Policy Results section. This allows you to pick any network connected PC and AD user account and view the effected Group POlicy's applied to the user / computer.

May provide a bit of light on the situation

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

thanks for the tip with the result wizard.

i have run the wizard on the DC to query my computer.

and i have searched and looked around and every where i found that the winning gpo is that gpo i make changes.
              i have tested some settings with that winning gpo.
              User Configuration---Administrative Templates---Windows Components-Windows Update.
              i changed the value to Enabled. = i could not access the windows update home page i was told there that my policie is not allowing me to use this website.
              i changed it back to Disabled. = i can success full access the windows update home page.
              so i understand from that i am editing the correct GPO and i have see that the winning GPO is the one i am editing so i dont get it where could be another setting for the problem?
              MCSE 2000 Done
              RHCE Done

Comment

You will want to run the GPMC and set it to check the the machine that you are on and the user that you are logging on as.

This will then show you every policy that is applied to your affected PC.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
                  You will want to run the GPMC and set it to check the the machine that you are on and the user that you are logging on as.

This will then show you every policy that is applied to your affected PC.
                  if you mean the group policie results wizard?. you can read in my Previous
                  posting that i have done that.
                  and if not. what is the GPMC?
                  MCSE 2000 Done
                  RHCE Done

Comment

GPMC - Group Policy Management Console

Did you look through all the settings to check for differences??

Is this happening across your full domain??

Comment

yes its affecting the entire domain all computers that the GPO Applies to.

and i have searched and looked in the GPO and i am thinking that there have to be something else... and if it helps i can post the results from the GPO wizard? or a part of it... just tell me wish part
                      MCSE 2000 Done
                      RHCE Done

Comment

I had a similar problem a while back and ran this script to retore the security settings back to normal. Unfortunately it sets them back to what they were when logged onto the domain.

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose

*EDIT*

Link to MS site on above command

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;313222

Please verify that your account has the following required permissions. This
                        can be verified by launching the "Local Security Settings" policy editor.
                        Type the following command to launch this editor:

secpol.msc

Go to "SecPol.msc > Local Policies > User Rights Assignment"

The following permissions are required:
                        1. Back up files and directories
                        2. Debug programs
                        3. Restore files and directories
                        4. Manage auditing and security log
                        5. Take ownership of files or other objects
                        This has been taken from elsewhere and i'm unsure what the defaults are.

Comment

do i have to do this procedure on the DC? or on my desktop computer?
                          and lets say on the DC... it should be a problem becouse there are too much settings that i wil lose.

*EDIT*

and if i run it on my computer (desktop pc)
                          what happend after the next gpupdate interval?
                          MCSE 2000 Done
                          RHCE Done

Comment

I ran it on my local machine.

Comment

and what happend after the GPO refresh? on your local machine
                              MCSE 2000 Done
                              RHCE Done

Comment

Working...
                              X