X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• accessing GPO settings for newer clients

Hi Guys,

hopefully an easy question.
    I Configure and Administrate my domain and OU GPO's from my windows XP workstation, using admin pack along with any other MMC snapin i have obtained, including adsi/IIS/GPM/DFS etc etc etc..
    Anyway, I now have a few Vista and windows 7 clients on my domain, which are causing my a slight headache as i cant access the new GPO settings that apply to these machines (including UAC controls)
    ive been searching everywhere for a GPO "update" of such for my XP client so it can see the GPO settings on the domain controller...
    however no such luck..
    so i thought i would throw the situation out there to petri and hopefully someone can shine some light on the issue...
    I am hoping its not a case of i will have to upgrade my client machine...
    Thanks in advance.
    Josh

Re: accessing GPO settings for newer clients

For Vista machines try the relevant RSAT tools: Google
    And also the same for Win7: i.e http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Re: accessing GPO settings for newer clients

Hey Thanks for the response.
      however that is not what i was asking, I guess its a little hard to explain.
      I use windows XP to administor my GPO for the domain (through MMC)
      recently RSAT came out for vista and windows 7 which takes advantage of all the new GPO settings available and the new ADMX formats, I was looking for an upgrade of sorts to unlock these settings in my GPM on windows XP...
      I got the same answer on experts-exchange. RSAT is not available for windows XP
      so as I was hoping was not the case, the only way is to use windows 7 or Vista..
      what microsoft have basically said here, is you can not administor a windows 2008/windows 7/vista Domain GPO in windows XP anymore.
      which is a pretty unreasonable call IMO, as technically speaking a GPO is simply a collection registry link settings, any client should be able to modify these.

Microsoft confirmes what i have stated here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx
      (easily outlines in Table1)

thank you, hopefully this also answers the problem for anyone else wondering (which there seems to be a surprising lack of)

regards,
      Josh

Comment

Working...
      X