New GPO not showing up in Policies Folder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GPO not showing up in Policies Folder

When I create a new Group Policy on a Windows 2003 R2 Server, the policy links ok in the gpmc.msc and looks fine. However, when I go to the desktops on the domain, and do a gpupdate, I start getting the dreaded 1030 / 1058 errors. When I go to the \\<domain>\SysVol\<domain>\Policies\ folder there is no new policy. I've tried restarting the machine. When I look in the error logs I see that the following error message is occuring:

Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO cn={F46939E9-5A47-4317-8CEE-D8CE7800C031},cn=policies,cn=system,DC=<domain>,DC =local. The file must be present at the location <\\<domain>\SysVol\<domain>\Policies\{F46939E9-5A47-4317-8CEE-D8CE7800C031}\gpt.ini>. (The system cannot find the path specified. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

I check the policy I created and the F46939E9..... policy is indded the one I just created. I've tried erasing the policy and making new policies but they never show up in the folder. Help please!

Thanks!

Re: New GPO not showing up in Policies Folder

What if you access the same from DC itself using:

\\127.0.0.1\SysVol\<domain>\Policies\
    Kapil Sharma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

It does show up when looking in the folder from the server itself. Just not from the clients. I have the GPO currently linked at domain level.
      Last edited by tunes4life; 5th November 2009, 15:01.

Comment

It's really strange, there are 7 policies in the folder on the server. There are only 5 when looking at the folder from the clients on the network. It looks like the permissions are the same on all the files.

Comment

OK, here is some more info. The domain has two DC's the main DC and a secondary DC. When I go to <domain>.local from a client it's automatically going to the secondary DC which doesn't have all the GPO's. It should be pointing to the main dc. How do I switch this? Do I have some configuration issues going on on the DC? Shouldn't the secondary DC have the same policies as the Main DC?

Very confused - Sorry I'm such a n00b.
          Last edited by tunes4life; 5th November 2009, 16:30.

Comment

OK, here's some further info. I opened up the DNS server on the main DC and there were two entries like the following:

(same as parent folder) HOST (A) 10.0.0.251
            (same as parent folder) HOST (A) 10.0.0.253

253 is the main DC and 251 is the secondary. When I did a NSLOOKUP for <domain>.local I got back - 10.0.0.251, 10.0.0.253. So the name was resolving to the second DC first. I removed the A record for 251. Then everything works. The question then becomes:

If there are two DC's on the same network should there be two A records, one for each DC? If this were the case that would mean that the second DC should have the same GPO's as the first DC, that way this would work. Is there a problem going on here that I'm not recognizing? Is there a process that copies the GPO's from the MAIN DC to the Secondary DC that is not occurring? Or, should the MAIN DC (253) be the only one that should have an default A record? I think I have a replication issue.

I'm very confused.

Last edited by tunes4life; 5th November 2009, 16:53.

Comment

Doing a little checking around to see what the FRS settings are. When I go into active directory sites and services and open up the NTDS Settings Properties dialog and open up the Connections tab (windows 2003) the Replicate to: and replicate from: servers are the same server. I checked both DC's and they are the same. Am I wrong or is this the problem. Could these two DC's be both replicating with themselves only? Or are my just reading this wrong?

Either way this is definitely a replication issue. The FRS log shows no errors. I have stopped and restarted the FRS to no avail. Idea? Anyone?

Running DCDIAG shows:

Passed test Replications
              Passed test frssysvol
              Passed test frsevent

The only errors I'm getting are a whole list of errors under systemlog test

And yet the SYSVOL is NOT replicating!

-Frustrated
              Last edited by tunes4life; 5th November 2009, 17:50.

Comment

Really, no one has any ideas? Pretty please? I've has to copy over all policies from one server to the other. Which in itself is not that big of a deal but policy changes happen quite frequently here.

Comment

best way to check your replication:
                  create an object (like a computer or user account) on one dc, see if it replicates to the other
                  do the same in reverse, with a different object.

this will at least rule out gpo replication ssues
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Ya, it's definitely not replicating. I've tried this already. It seems as if the linking between the sysvol folders is corrupted. Anyone know a good step by step article in using linkd?

Comment

Working...
                    X