Correct way for applying GPO.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct way for applying GPO.

I am using Login script for Mapping drive at clinet side.In Windows Server 2003 I use GPO and write script in a bat file.

NET USE x: \\SERVER_NAME\Sahre Folder Name /PERSISTENT:NO

There are five OU and in each OU there are 10 users. For adding the bat file I use the following steps.

Active Directrory Users and Computers .....>Right Click Domain Name ......>Properties......>Group Policy.....> Default Domain Policy...>Edit...User Configuration.....>Windows Settings......>Script.....>Login

Please guide me that is it the correct way

1- The above mentioned steps but under Group Policy I shall press "NEW" give it a name "Mapped Drive " and then press edit.

or

2- Right Click on each OU Properties......>Group Policy.....> Default Domain Policy.

Please guide me the professional way .

thanks in advance.
    mypass
    Last edited by mypass604; 30th October 2009, 10:27.

Re: Correct way for applying GPO.

Hi,

It is good practice to leave the Default domain policy intact for troubleshooting purposes.
    If you want the same policy (ie logon script) to apply to all the users, then create a new GPO and link it to the domain. Otherwise If you need specific policies for different OU just create new GPO and link them to that OU.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

thanks for the reply. As u reply "If you want the same policy (ie logon script) to apply to all the users, then create a new GPO and link it to the domain." please guide me that how can i Link the new GPO with domain or when we create a new GPO it automatically link with Domain?

Comment

If you have Group Policy Management Console installed, run it, right click on your domain and select "create and link a GPO here"
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Screenshot for clearer view
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi "L4ndy" for the reply. As you mentioned that "create a new GPO and link it to the domain" Can you please guide me that how can I link my new GPO with domain?

thanks

Comment

Did you read the last two posts?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yes I have read the last two post but again may please I mention that the server which I am using is windows server 2003.I think the snap which is in the post is showing server 2008 configuration.

Comment

Looks just the same in 2003 (slightly less colours)
                  Attached Files
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Working...
                  X