office 2k3 deployment throgh a 2k3 active directory gpo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• office 2k3 deployment throgh a 2k3 active directory gpo

as the ork of the office 2k3 damands, i create an MST file with all the settings i need.

now, i'm trying to create a gpo to install the office.
    (computer cofiguration - software settings - software installation - new - package), and here it wants only an msi file, not the mst file.

i prefare to deploy the office to computers insted of users.

The MST file can only be added to new packages, therefore when creating a software installation package in GPO, choose ADVANCED and there you'll have the option to add the MST file to the MSI package.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

after done what you said, and applying the PGO on a test OU, I restarted a test comp.

the installation didn't work, and i got this event log error:

Event Type: Warning
      Event Source: Application Management
      Event Category: None
      Event ID: 101
      Date: 01/08/2005
      Time: 08:03:09
      User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
      Computer: TESTWS
      Description:
      The assignment of application Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 from policy OFFICE 2003 INSTALL - TEST failed. The error was : The group policy framework should call the extension in the synchronous foreground policy refresh.

what does it mean???

Comment

It probably means that you should boot again. Software distribution takes 2 or 3 boots before it works. This is by design, but can be fixed with the proper GPO setting.

Comment

well, every restart i get a deferent error message:

sometines the one i stated before, and sometime this one:

Event Type: Error
          Event Source: Application Management
          Event Category: None
          Event ID: 102
          Date: 01/08/2005
          Time: 09:59:29
          User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
          Computer: TESTWS
          Description:
          The install of application Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 from policy OFFICE 2003 INSTALL - TEST failed. The error was : The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.

i have a mapd network drive with the exact path.

Comment

ok, I'll play along.

- Does that share have read permissions for Everyone?
            - Are you 100% sure you specified the correct UNC path and MSI in the GPO?
            - Do other GPO's apply correcty, i.e. is that workstation otherwise ok?

Comment

first of all, thanks for your time.

-the permissions are as you wrote.
              -other policies are running fine.
              -the UNC path is correct, and tested.
              and more..
              you can see that it's trying to load the policy, and for about 3-5 seconds it writes that it's starting to impliment it, but then it move to the logon screen.

sorry for nagging..

Yoav

Comment

No, you're not nagging. I just noticed that you haven't told us what you have already investigated and excluded.

> and for about 3-5 seconds it writes that it's starting to impliment it, but then it move to the logon screen.

This suggest a problem with the package. Is the MSI install complete? Can you install it from the share by just kicking off the installer by hand?

Comment

Yes I can install it from the msi file by double klick it.
                  and did it, just to make sure that the installation files on the server are o.k.

[/u]

Comment

Giving up is for amateurs, so let's continue

For some people it seems to improve things when Domain Computers is given permissions on the share and the NTFS volume. Worth trying, since the error indicates a permission problem.

Consider to turn on auditing on the MSI files to see if there is indeed a request being refused, and if so, which.

Comment

Working...
                    X