Folder redirection and offline file cache

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder redirection and offline file cache

I have a W2K3 active directory with XPsp3 clients fully patched, I have folder redirection (my documents, desktop, app data) with offline files enabled by default. Connected to our network (wired/wireless), everything works fine. My users will take their notebooks home, leaving wireless cards enabled from their time at on site, and we start having problems. Logon is slower, which is understood as the computer is trying to find the DC. When the user gets logged in an error message "the folder \\servername\share\username\desktop could not be found" and desktop, my docs, and app data info are not working. There are two shares, Disconnected Network Drive which is not available and the username on \\servername\share that is defined in AD my home folder which contains my redirected folder cache and all files are available. If I allow a client computer to go into sleep mode and log back in, everything is working as designed. I can replicate this problem so I'm sure its not one client in particular or hardware related. We are not using and VPN connection for file synchronization off site. Attached are pictures of my error messages. Any help or advice is appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MadMan; 3rd December 2009, 16:49. Reason: better explanation of problem

Re: Folder redirection and Offline files

Do you have Offline Files enabled and set to synchronise these folders? From your post, I would guess not.

Also, when you said they are redirected to the "network home", what do you mean by that? Obviously a network share... if the users have roaming profiles, are the redirected folders stored within the server copy of their profiles? If so, then you're using an unsupported configuration.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Offline files are enabled and set to synchronize on logon and logoff.

Currently I am not using roaming profiles. Network home is their share point into which I redirect their My Docs, Desktop, and Application Data. Permissions to the folders are correct. The client notebooks just have a hard time if there is an active network connection when attempting to login. If there is no active connection, login works great.
      Last edited by MadMan; 25th September 2009, 16:18.

Comment

Funningly, I'm having the same problem (where users log on but the desktop is completely blank - no icons, no taskbar, nothing) and my setup is the same as yours, except it occurs within my network when server loses connection because of crappy router.

"If/when the login process completes, the user's environment is blank (no desktop, documents, or app data)."
        I think this is the way its supposed to be, because even after successful logon I'm never able to see these files on the user's folder.

I'm going to try this (as soon as I fix router): Right-click the shared folder properties - sharing - caching - select "all files...offline."
        Give it a shot and post back with your results.

I think that might help.

Comment

Madman, to follow up on this.

The computer is behaving exactly like it should in this situation. No server to download the data, thus no data to show up on workstation.

I had similar setup. If you switch everything to classical view, you'll see desktop will show icons from local computer.

Comment

If the data is being synchronised using Offline Files though, then it should be appearing. Our laptop users all have their full set of desktop icons (redirected to a share) avaliable when they're offline.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by HotDay2222 View Post
              Funningly, I'm having the same problem (where users log on but the desktop is completely blank - no icons, no taskbar, nothing) and my setup is the same as yours, except it occurs within my network when server loses connection because of crappy router.

"If/when the login process completes, the user's environment is blank (no desktop, documents, or app data)."
              I think this is the way its supposed to be, because even after successful logon I'm never able to see these files on the user's folder.

I'm going to try this (as soon as I fix router): Right-click the shared folder properties - sharing - caching - select "all files...offline."
              Give it a shot and post back with your results.

I think that might help.
              did not work, thanks for the idea though.

Comment

Originally posted by HotDay2222 View Post
                Madman, to follow up on this.

The computer is behaving exactly like it should in this situation. No server to download the data, thus no data to show up on workstation.

I had similar setup. If you switch everything to classical view, you'll see desktop will show icons from local computer.
                Are you referring to classic start menu or display properties>appearance>windows and buttons>windows classic style?

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                  If the data is being synchronised using Offline Files though, then it should be appearing. Our laptop users all have their full set of desktop icons (redirected to a share) avaliable when they're offline.
                  I agree, it should be appearing. When either connected to our network on login or all network cards disconnected on login, I get the full set of desktop icons with offline arrows. I edited my original post to possibly better explain.

Comment

Re: Folder redirection and offline file cache

Check the following properties in the GPO...

If you select "Grant User exclusive rights to Desktop" then even a Enterprise Admin will not have access to the redirected folder.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by shades; 4th December 2009, 17:38.

Comment

Originally posted by shades View Post
                      Check the following properties in the GPO...

If you select "Grant User exclusive rights to Desktop" then even a Enterprise Admin will not have access to the redirected folder.

Tried with both settings, no change.

Comment

are the users logging off when leaving the site? or simply closing their laptop screen and trying to log back in when they get home?

Comment

Originally posted by IceNine View Post
                          are the users logging off when leaving the site? or simply closing their laptop screen and trying to log back in when they get home?

They're logging off 90% of the time. We have the occasional forget/didn't wait long enough for their notebook to shut down. Problem occurs only upon login from power on.

Comment

so sounds like the NIC is not "ready"? when the users are logging in. bizarre indeed. and you're saying that if you turn on the laptop and leave it at the login screen, wait for it to hybernate, press power login = no issues?

Comment

Originally posted by IceNine View Post
                              so sounds like the NIC is not "ready"? when the users are logging in. bizarre indeed. and you're saying that if you turn on the laptop and leave it at the login screen, wait for it to hybernate, press power login = no issues?

Not at the login screen. If the user logs in, doesn't get desktop/documents/app data, lets the machine hibernate, unlock machine, everything back to normal. Very odd.

Comment

Working...
                              X