GPO in mixed environment Vista XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO in mixed environment Vista XP

Got a question about GPO's in a mixed environment. Yes I know you have diff. template files and need to use Vista to make Vista GPO's. But the question I have is will the GPO's I am using for XP and Server have any effect on Vista or must I set ALL GPO changes I want to make in the Vista GPO/Interface?

Or is it that some settings used for XP will apply to Vista and ony the unique settings that are Vista onlyget changed with VIsta?

Say I have Store passwords using recverse encryption DISABLED in my XP GPO. Will it be disabled in Vista or do I need to modify Vista temmplates?

Thanks.

[email protected]

Re: GPO in mixed environment Vista XP

Many settings are common to XP and Vista - you will notice that on some options, it tells you "requires Windows X or later" or words to that effect.

FYI, you can use "legacy" ADM templates with Vista (I think - certainly with Server 0. You just need to use Vista or Server 08 to be able to configure the options specific to those OSes, or to use ADMX templates.

In any case, the best way to find out what X does when you try Y is to try it and see Ideally in a lab, or at least in a controlled setting on the production system (such as being limited to a specific OU, with a backup taken before the experiment).
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

So in a nutshell my XP settings mostlikely will apply on Vista machines. I just need to make Vista specific settings on Vista.

Correct?

Comment

Yes. And as always, test it first.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X