Unlocking the desktop when using folder redirection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlocking the desktop when using folder redirection

So i am testing on using folder redirection for my network so i can push certain icons that all users MUST have since they use them on a daily basis.
    But the problem i am seeing is that folder redirection is locking out the desktop icons and won't let users add/remove their own icons on the desktop.
    I have no issues with them deleting all their icons, or making shortcuts to everything on their desktop, all i really care about is the icons i have in a shared network folder that i want to push to every machine and to make sure they CAN'T delete those icons.

Re: Unlocking the desktop when using folder redirection

What are the Share and NTFS permissions on the network share that you're redirecting to?

Comment

- Share Permissions -
      Administrators - Full
      Everyone - Full
      System - Full

- NTFS Permissions -
      Administrators - Full
      Authenticated Users - Read/Execute
      Everyone - Read/Execute
      System - Full
      Test Group - Full

Comment

Are the users in question members of the Test group?

Comment

yes!
          i have the folder redirection setup based off of groups. and the Test User is part of the Test Group

Comment

Try removing the Everyone and Authenticated Users groups from the NTFS permissions. Make sure that they are removed from the child folders as well. Make sure that the Test group has Full permissions on the child folders (I'm assuming every user will get a child folder for their desktop to be redirected to).

Also, you're not going to be able to control the deletion of your icons if you give them Full control (so that they have Full control of their own icons). you're going to have to set the Read Only attribute on your icons to keep them from being deleted.

Comment

While not exactly answering the question you asked, I would suggest that there is perhaps a "better" way to distribute a set of desktop icons to your users. Rather than using Folder Redirection and preventing people from writing to their desktop folders, I would instead use either the Shortcuts GP Preference, or something like Shortcut.exe from Optimum X in a startup script. In either case, they'd be in a GPO targeting computer accounts and would put the shortcuts in the All Users\Desktop folder - users by default can't write to that folder.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                While not exactly answering the question you asked, I would suggest that there is perhaps a "better" way to distribute a set of desktop icons to your users. Rather than using Folder Redirection and preventing people from writing to their desktop folders, I would instead use either the Shortcuts GP Preference, or something like Shortcut.exe from Optimum X in a startup script. In either case, they'd be in a GPO targeting computer accounts and would put the shortcuts in the All Users\Desktop folder - users by default can't write to that folder.
                I looked into this and it looks like it's a Server 2008 feature, which i don't have since all my servers are 2003.
                If i am wrong about this please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                  Try removing the Everyone and Authenticated Users groups from the NTFS permissions. Make sure that they are removed from the child folders as well. Make sure that the Test group has Full permissions on the child folders (I'm assuming every user will get a child folder for their desktop to be redirected to).

Also, you're not going to be able to control the deletion of your icons if you give them Full control (so that they have Full control of their own icons). you're going to have to set the Read Only attribute on your icons to keep them from being deleted.

No, every user is NOT going to have their own folder. There is 1 folder for ALL users that will contain the links that i want to push out to everyone.

I am trying the suggestion you made about removing the Everyone and Authenticated Users right now and will let you know if that works or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Neipas09 View Post
                    I looked into this and it looks like it's a Server 2008 feature, which i don't have since all my servers are 2003.
                    If i am wrong about this please let me know.
                    Startup scripts are not specific to 2008.

Also, you can edit posts to add to them - you don't necessarily need to post twice in a row.
                    Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Startup scripts???

I was referring to the "Shortcuts GP Preferences" being only available with 2008.

Comment

My suggestion mentioned both...
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                        X