Ie8 frozen! Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ie8 frozen! Help

We have IE8 running with XP PRO and WINDOWS 2003 Server.. when you login as administrator or a teacher (we are a school), IE8 works fine.. When we login as a student, IE8 comes up but you cant move the window, click on any links or type on the URL, use the search box. Its as if IE8 is locked out from the user. You cant even close the window. What would be causing this?? how do I resolve??

- Dave

Re: Ie8 frozen! Help

BTW - I just tested the same student login on a machine that has IE7 and it works so it must me something in GPO and IE8.. HELP!!!!

Comment

Ok, tell us what settings you have configured if you think the GPO is the problem. Right now we really can't help you at all.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

just tested without the STUDENT GROUP POLICY and it does the same thing.. HOWEVER, I can ctrl-alt-delete and then END TASK... then restart IE8 (click on the icon), it gives me an error about crashing, I tell it to go to home page and it works.

Why is this happening?? I need to resolve so students can use without this issue!

HELP!

Comment

We really can't help you with the level of detail we have.

What settings are configured in the relevant GPOs? Why do you think it's a GPO issue rather than a profile issue or a permissions issue?

Are the machines fully up to date?
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

after a lot of tinkering, I have determined, its NOT GPO but is the GOOGLE TOOLBAR. I removed it and all works... I dont understand why students would get the issue but anyone else who logs onto the same pc doesn't. I'm currently building a RIP (altiris) to MASS-UNINSTALL the toolbar...

Comment

Well done for finding out the problem when I started my current job, all the machines had their OEM OSes installed with the associated bloat, including several machines with Google Toolbar. That caused a few issues for us too - part of the reason I put forward for reinstalling everything with a standard image.

Thanks for sharing your findings rep++;
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
              X