Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offline Files - Upon reconnect to Network

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is an option to reconnect/resync automatically when the network become available again?
    I have users who ignore the baloon popup in the system tray letting them know that they are working Offline. Then they complain that they have no connection to the network shares. They unable to see all their network files. Then I have to go over to their desk and click on the "OK" button of the Synchronization tool. This will then synchronize them to the network and thus provide access to their network folders.

I'd like to automate this so they get re-sychronized automatically as soon as the network connection is resotred. I think it created not to have this option for the protection of the users... I think they have manually chose when to sychronize to the network, in order to protect the current versions of their offline documents vs online documents....not sure.

Re: Offline Files - Upon reconnect to Network

If I'm reading it right this article at technet should help. Read the section on Forced Silent auto reconnection.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks for the quick response

I was hoping to get a GPO edit and not a regedit on all the machines. I really don't want to manually do it on all my machines (20 users).

Forced silent auto reconnection

When a server has been unavailable (offline mode) and then becomes available again for connection, Offline Files Client Side Caching tries to transition that server to online mode if all the following conditions are true:
      • There are no offline changes for that server on the local computer.
      • There are no open file handles for that server on the local computer.
      • The server is accessed over a “fast” link. You can adjust the definition of “slow” and “fast” by using the SlowLinkSpeed Offline Files policy.
      With this hotfix, you can configure Offline Files Client Side Caching to ignore these conditions and transition the server to online mode regardless of whether these conditions exist. To do this, follow these steps:
      1. Click Start, click Run, type REGEDIT, and then click OK.
      2. Locate and click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\NetCache
      3. Click Edit, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
      4. Type SilentForcedAutoReconnect, and then press ENTER to name the value.
      5. Double-click SilentForcedAutoReconnect.
      6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.

Comment

There are ways to import Registry Entries via GPO, E.g by writing your own adm file or through scripts.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727154.aspx

Simplest way is probably create a .reg file then apply it as a startup script to the machines. Startup will run as the computer, a login script will run as the user so will need admin rights to apply registry changes.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I just tried the following .cmd script and it worked. The only thing is, when I run it again, I get a confirmation to overwrite the original registry entry (Y/N?). Do happened to know a way to eliminate this issue? The first time someone logs on their machine, it will add this entry with no issues, but the second, third...they will get a confirmation box to overwrtie the reg entry.

reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Net Cache /v SilentForcedAutoReconnect /t REG_DWORD /d 1

http://www.petri.com/reg_command_in_windows_xp.htm
          Last edited by shades; 28th August 2009, 17:29.

Comment

Sorry, I found it. /f switch...Overwrite existing key without prompt.

Comment

Working...
            X