Forcing PST file location through GP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forcing PST file location through GP

We are running Exchange 2003 standard with SP2 on Server 2003. In order to implement GFI Mail archive solution I need to force auto archiving through the group policy. I downloaded and installed the Outlook 2007 ADM and configured all the settings. However when I try to force the PST file location to a network share ie \\servername\home\%username% it just ignores it and leaves the PST location as the default %userprofile%\Local Settings\Aplication Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    I ran gpresult and rsop.msc and I can see that the PST location is set to \\servername\home\%username% but if I check in Outlook, Tools, Options, Other, Auto Archive the path for the PST is still pointing at the default.
    Any help appreciated

Re: Forcing PST file location through GP

I may be missing something but why would a Mail Archiving product require you to first archive into PSTs? Surely the whole point of an email archiving product is to avoid having to use PST files. One of our customers uses GFI, but I don't know much about it. I do know it archives directly from the server by connecting via IMAP though.

PST files are not meant to be on network shares, in fact this is not a supported configuration so I'd be very surprised if GFI are recommending this.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thannks for the quick response. The problem is that the GFI product only archives from the day you install and configure it. You then must export users old emails out to a pst and then import them into the GFI database. Its a bit messy and that is why I wanted to ensure all the PSTs were in a central location so the I could import them quickly
      Thanks

Comment

Ah, I see now. I think you'd be better served looking at ExMerge.exe to export the mailboxes directly to PST from the Exchange server, assuming it can be made to follow the archiving settings you want. Playing with PST files across the network has never in my experience ended in anything other than disaster.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Were the Archive pst files created before the GPO setting was implemented? The GPO setting is effective for pst files that are created after the GPO setting is implemented. It will not change the path of an existing pst file. Try it with a new Outlook profile.

Also, I'm assuming you're using Outlook 2007, right?

Comment

I am using a new test user and my own account (I backed my mail up first) in a test OU. It is Outlook 2007

Comment

It's not based on the user it's based on the Outlook profile. Are you using a new Outlook profile with the new user? What do you mean you're using a new user and your account? Are you saying that the new user is using your mailbox or are you saying that you're testing with a new user and testing with your own account? Have you kicked off an archive to see where the pst file is being created?

Comment

I set up a new users and moved him into the Mail Archiver OU that the mail archive GP is attached to. I also moved my account into this OU as obviously the new user would not have enough old emils for the Archive to kick off, however mine does. As I said earlier the policy has been applied because gpresult and RSOP show that it has but if I go into Tools, Options Other, Auto Archive the PST location is still pointing at the default location

Comment

Have you tried kicking off a manual archive to see where it wants to create the file?

Comment

I kicked off an Auto Archive and set it to use the autoarchive settings and the PST was created in the default location. The location specified in the GP was ignored. A curious thing is that it picked up on %username% variable and named the archive file myusername.pst
                    Thanks
                    Last edited by BernardM; 28th August 2009, 15:12.

Comment

Guys

I found a way to import all the old emails without having to change the PST default location.
                      Thanks for all your help
                      Cheers

Comment

And what was your solution?
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                        X