GPO backup errors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO backup errors

w2k3 standard, modifying some gpo's I made up a while back, that as far as I knew were and are working properly, however, if I try and back them up, I get the following error:

GPO: {XXXX} Policy...Failed

The specified module could not be found.

the event viewer shows event id 2004's every time I try and back up a gpo...

Backup of GPO failed. Error [The specified module could not be found.]

what's going on and how do I fix it?

Re: GPO backup errors

What are you using to backup the policies?

Have you tried searching for your error message / event log entry? Try www.eventid.net
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      What are you using to backup the policies?
      GPMC, right click, backup

Have you tried searching for your error message / event log entry? Try www.eventid.net
      yes, nada...

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?e...icy+management

Comment

Have you tried the suggestion you just linked to?

Originally posted by Mihai Andrei
        From a newsgroup post: "This event can occur if you backup a GPO which contains custom registry security settings, and the Owner for this registry key they were trying to set security on, had been set to one of their own admins. You may edit the policy to change the owner to be “Administrators” group (the default) as following:
        1. Right click the policy in Group Policy Management and select Edit.
        2. In Group Policy Object Editor, right click the Default Domain Policy and
        select Properties.
        3. In Security tab, click Advanced.
        4. In Advanced Security Settings for page, confirm the Owner is “Administrators” in Owner tab.

If the problem still persists, please enable verbose logging of the Group Policy Management Console by adding the following registry keys:
        Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics
        Value: GPMgmtTraceLevel
        Value Type: REG_DWORD
        Value Data: 2
        Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics
        Value: GPMgmtLogFileOnly
        Value Type: REG_DWORD
        Value Data: 1
        This creates a gpmgmt.log that is located in %temp%. The temp folder is in the profile of the currently logged on user".
        It might help if you post the log.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

guess you have to registered to see what you posted as it does not show up on the linked page, otherwise, I have no idea how you got that...

that being said, yes, I have done the first part and validated the owner of the gpo's is the administrators group.

on the second, I will do that now...

Comment

Odd, since while I am registered I'm not actually logged in... ah well. Consider that your free evaluation
            Gareth Howells

Comment

gpmgmt.log contents after attempting one backup of the default domain policy

--------------------------------

Code:
              [1c44.13e8]  8/26/2009 11:19:01:208  [VERBOSE] CheckDSSDWriteAccess: Access Granted on the object
              [1c44.18f8]  8/26/2009 11:19:04:521  [WARNING] CGPMBackupDir::LoadManifestFile: CoCreateInstanced failed for IXMLDOMDocument2 with 0x8007007e.
              [1c44.18f8]  8/26/2009 11:19:04:521  [WARNING] CGPMBackupDir::Initialize(): LoadManifestFile failed with 0x8007007e.
              [1c44.18f8]  8/26/2009 11:19:04:521  [WARNING] CGPOOperations::DoBackup : Initialize failed hr 0x8007007e
              [1c44.18f8]  8/26/2009 11:19:04:521  [VERBOSE] CGPMBackupData::CheckCancelFlag: Checking cancel flag. m_bCancel = 0
              [1c44.18f8]  8/26/2009 11:19:04:521  [WARNING] CGPMBackupDir::Remove(): szID was NULL.
              [1c44.18f8]  8/26/2009 11:19:04:521  [WARNING] CGPOOperations::DoBackup : Removing from the manifest failed 0x80004003
              [1c44.13e8]  8/26/2009 11:19:04:536  [VERBOSE] CCollection::get_Item: m_pEnumProvider is empty
              [1c44.13e8]  8/26/2009 11:19:04:536  [VERBOSE] CCollection::get_Item: m_pEnumProvider is empty
              [1c44.13e8]  8/26/2009 11:19:05:630  [VERBOSE] CGPMBackupData::~CGPMBackupData: Destructor called

Comment

am I missing something obvious or is this a stumper?

I have not been able to find any information relating to these errors...

Comment

so I installed gpmc on a different server and....it let me back up from there?

won't let me backup from the pdc, won't let me backup from my laptop, will let me backup from a bdc...???

is this by design or ??

Comment

from the ooooooook......department.....after installing the gpmc on that bdc and beig able to backup the gpo's....I reinstalled on the pdc...and was able to run backups...hmm....I then reinstalled gpmc on my laptop.....and was able to run backups...

oooooook......not sure what that means exactly but whatever it was that fudged gpmc was done on a 2k3 machine and a xpsp3 machine alike....

Comment

Just FYI... we don't have PDCs and BDCs anymore
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Just FYI... we don't have PDCs and BDCs anymore
                        I know, but that is how I still think of them.....

Comment

Working...
                        X