Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enabling and Disabling a few items via GPO

Hello;

1 - I am trying to apply a company .bmp or .jpg wallpaper, I have enabled Active Desktop and specified the other policy to load from c:\windows\web\wallpapers\image.bmp and it still does not load the image for my test user under that GPO. I did a gpupdate /force and rebooted the machine with no luck. Any suggestions on how I can deploy this in a corporate environment? I would prefer to not enable Active Desktop.... Suggestions?

2 - For New and existing profile the 'Take a tour of XP' baloon and icon in the system tray appears, how can I make that so it is removed without user intervention? I have crawled the web with no success.

Thanks in advance,

Jordan
    Jordan

IT Pro Evangelist
    (MICROSOFT-NORTEL-CISCO-ZYXEL)

Re: Enabling and Disabling a few items via GPO

Originally posted by jordanwpg View Post
    c:\windows\web\wallpapers\image.bmp
    Double check that the file is there - if you enter the above in a Run box, does the image load? Also check the permissions on the file. What do gpresult and rsop.msc show?

Originally posted by jordanwpg
    For New and existing profile the 'Take a tour of XP' baloon and icon in the system tray appears, how can I make that so it is removed without user intervention?
    Try this Google result...
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by jordanwpg View Post
      Hello;

2 - For New and existing profile the 'Take a tour of XP' baloon and icon in the system tray appears, how can I make that so it is removed without user intervention? I have crawled the web with no success.
      To disable the Windows XP Tour Prompt change the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Applets\Tour
      DWORD=RunCount
      Value=0

Also, you can take a look at this MS KB article...

-Jason
      Last edited by VWA4; 24th August 2009, 04:25.
      MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Hi,

1- If you want to do that in a corporate environment you could use a UNC path instead of a local one \\server\share\image.bmp

2- Look at enabling the Don't display the getting started welcome screen at logon policy via GPO as follows:
        User Configuration - Admin Templates - System
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I would like to remove it for all users as 20-30 different users logon the same computer. Any fix for that (HKEY LOCAL MACHINE LEVEL)?

Cheers,

Jordan
          Jordan

IT Pro Evangelist

Comment

User-level Group Policy settings will affect every user in or below the OU to which the GPO is linked... there's no "fix" required to achieve this.
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hello,

I am not sure if you understood or if I am explaining it wrong. If I edit this regkey locally:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Applets\Tour
              DWORD=RunCount
              Value=0

It will only make the change to the user that is logged in (Example- JDOE01). If I logon with JDOE02 I will have to make that regkey fix for that user as well - correct?

Regards,

Jordan
              Jordan

IT Pro Evangelist

Comment

Yes. Or you could simplify matters and use Group Policy.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

I have for number 2 if you read below in this message, but been unable to get it to work for number one, by Enabling Active Desktop and Enabling the second option with UNC path to the .bmp and tried a .jpg. Do I need to add a specific share permission?

==
                  Hi,

1- If you want to do that in a corporate environment you could use a UNC path instead of a local one \\server\share\image.bmp

2- Look at enabling the Don't display the getting started welcome screen at logon policy via GPO as follows:
                  User Configuration - Admin Templates - System
                  ==
                  Jordan

IT Pro Evangelist

Comment

Working...
                  X