No announcement yet.

IE8 Group Policy install FAILED.. HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE8 Group Policy install FAILED.. HELP!

I hope someone can help.. I used IEK to create an MSI and deploy through the the computer policy of 2003 server gp. It was set to install in the compuer policy before a user logged on. It looked like it was installing and on some computers it worked fine.. OTHERS, however, it didnt install on and when you click on the IE8 icon, it just creates a shortcut and doesnt run. the only solution is for me to go to add remove programs, uninstall and then re-install by hand (which requires some update to be installed before IE8 will install).

Is there any way to use group policy or something to automatically fix this issue on all the effected machines?? doing each one is time consuming since we have about 700 machines with this issue...

HELP!!

Re: IE8 Group Policy install FAILED.. HELP!

It seems to me that you need to get the update installed first, then push IE8 via Group Policy. Do you use WSUS for updates?

Comment

what update? How can I install via WSUS automatically and more important how can I get this issue resolved on machines where the install failed?

Comment

You said in your previous post:

the only solution is for me to go to add remove programs, uninstall and then re-install by hand (which requires some update to be installed before IE8 will install).

This implies that the reason IE8 didn't install was due to an update needing to be installed first. My approach would be to install the patch on the affected systems, and then push IE8 via Group policy. I asked if you used WSUS because it can be used to push the patch to the affected systems. If you don't have WSUS then you'll need to find another method to get the patch installed.

Comment

yes I use WSUS but when I look at the effected machines, It shows the patch already installed so I dont understand why the IE8 install failed.. HOW can I resolve this issue? can I put IE7 ovetop IE8? or build a uninstall somehow?

Comment

Working...
          X