GPO Overhead & Optimisation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO Overhead & Optimisation

Is it more efficient for me to make a single GPO which contains all my policies and apply this to an Organisational Unit in Active Directory, or would it be a bigger overhead to make each individual policy and apply them all to the OU

I find splitting them up means I can give them descriptive names and it makes it easier and much faster applying them to OUís. I donít have to drill down into the reporting to see whatís in the GPO. But is this the right way to do things?

Re: GPO Overhead & Optimisation

Originally posted by Deland01 View Post
    Is it more efficient for me to make a single GPO which contains all my policies
    Generally, yes.

would it be a bigger overhead to make each individual policy and apply them all to the OU
    Generally, yes.

For each GPO, you have to open a file and then process the contents of that file. Opening the file seems to be the slowest operation in my experience.

When I setup our system, I encountered some problems which required me to split the settings out into multiple GPOs to isolate what the problem was. When I was able to combine them all back into fewer large GPOs, bootup and logon times were significantly reduced.

I find splitting them up means I can give them descriptive names
    Yes, but you do document your system don't you...

it makes it easier and much faster applying them to OUís
    It's faster to apply 10 policies to an OU than to apply one?

If you are referring to the time taken to create new policies, then maybe you could look at Starter GPOs if you run 2008.

But is this the right way to do things?
    We can't really give a definitive answer to that - you need to do what's "right" for your system. On our old system for example, we had to split the settings out into lots of small policies - the load on the server was so great that GPMC would actually crash when trying to open a large policy.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Brilliant, thanks for the advice. I had a feeling there might not be a right or wrong way of doing things but wanted to check. The logon speed is interesting though.

Comment

As with most best practices, this is one you can be flexible on. You really need to consider your setup and test both methods. At least unlike other best practices (like not installing Exchange and ISA Server on a domain controller at the network edge, as my predecessor did at my last job ) this one doesn't have any major drawbacks other than the performance hit.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X