GPOs in Server 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPOs in Server 2008

when doing an unattended installation of windows server 2008 is there anyway to have the user and machine administrative GPOs set to what you want? i know the security GPOs can be done with secedit but havent seen how to configure the administrative GPOs during an install.

thanks in advance
    Last edited by huskyowner; 13th August 2009, 14:17.

Re: GPOs in Server 2008

I take it this is not a domain member, otherwise it would pick up the relevant GPOs from the domain controllers
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

standalone member servers only, no domain membership. unattended builds pushed out thru automated remote install.
      Last edited by huskyowner; 13th August 2009, 14:19.

Comment

If there's no Domain, then there are no GPO's. You can edit the Local Security Policy or run the Security Configuration and Analysis tool.

Comment

there are local GPOs on a standalone... run gpedit.msc on a standalone member server, and look at the local adminstrative GPOs under user and computer via the "local group policy editor". i already said im not asking about security based GPOs (local security policy). everything isnt domain based.
          Last edited by huskyowner; 13th August 2009, 14:42.

Comment

I forgot about that. I'm so used to working from a Domain perspective. My bad, sorry.

Comment

Can you use gpedit to export the gpo from one server and then import it into the new one?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                Can you use gpedit to export the gpo from one server and then import it into the new one?
                you can export the security GPOs via gpedit as an .inf but i have that taken care of already. it doesnt allow the exporting of the administrative GPOs. they are stored in c:\windows\system32\grouppolicy. you are able to copy the contents of the grouppolicy folder and "import" (i hate to use that word cause its really just a copy but not thru gpedit) it to another machine and it will use those GPOs but im trying not to do it that way since that isnt supported my Microsoft.

i suppose since Microsoft gears everything towards domain membership (for instance, RSOP and GPMC, and pretty much every other GPO tool doesn't work with local GPOs) theres no way to do this except for the aforementioned unsupported method.
                Last edited by huskyowner; 13th August 2009, 16:37.

Comment

How about some installation type package that can check the registry of a reference machine before and after you change the settings and produce a delta file with the changes

After all, GPOs are just a fancy registry editor

Also, since you have multiple servers (and presumably ditto clients), why can you not set up a domain?
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                    How about some installation type package that can check the registry of a reference machine before and after you change the settings and produce a delta file with the changes

After all, GPOs are just a fancy registry editor

Also, since you have multiple servers (and presumably ditto clients), why can you not set up a domain?
                    domain is not applicable. this is the standalone baseline deployment. all users do not use a domain. some use workgroup, hence the need for local config.
                    i can do a installation package with the grouppolicy folder copy as before. i know the deltas, its how to get the deltas into the unattended installation. its getting them EXPORTED off the reference machine (other than grouppolicy folder copy) and then getting them IMPORTED during the baseline unattended installations thats the issue. I have yet to find during researching this, any other method other than the grouppolicy folder copy.
                    Last edited by huskyowner; 13th August 2009, 18:54.

Comment

Working...
                    X