Auto Archiving Outlook 2003 through GPO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Archiving Outlook 2003 through GPO

Hello everyone. I wanted to know if someone can help me out with an issue I am having. In my office, all of the desktops are XP with Office 2003. We still are using Server 2003 and Exchange 03 as well.

Mailboxes were getting out of hand so we developed a GPO that should archive anything over 6 months. It seems to be working great for some people but not others. However, for the people that it isn't working for, I don't notice any errors in their event viewers. This is the current settings I have turned on
    1. Turn on Auto Archive (Enabled)
    2. Run AutoAtchive every <x> days (1)
    3. Prompt before AutoArchive runs (Disabled)
    4. During AutoArchive (blank)
    5. Delete expired items (e-mail folders only) (Disabled)
    6. Archive or delete old items (Enabled)
    7. Show archive folder in the folder list (Disable)
    8. Clean out items older than (6 months)
    9. Permanently delete old items (disabled)
    Is anyone able to give me some insight as to what we may have done wrong? What I can look at to try and fix the issue?

I saw one person say that archiving looks at the modified date of the folder and not the email item itself or that it doesn't archive anything unless it is in the Inbox or a sub folder in the Inbox. I don't know how true any of these are, but is there a way to check the last modified date on the folder?

So yeah...I'm just looking for general help to try and save space on the exhcnage server. Thank you in advance for all of your help.

Re: Auto Archiving Outlook 2003 through GPO

So this GPO is not applying for some people. Are all the other policies applying ok?

What happens when you try gpresult and rsop.msc?

Does gpupdate /force fix it?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thank you for the fast response.

From what we can tell the GPO is working for some people and not others. The only other policy we are having problems with is folder redirection on some computers as well. Usually that error is a security descriptor structure problem, which we haven't gotten around to looking into and fixing either. We are more concerned about the mailbox sizes.

I haven't tried gpresult on the computer, forgot about trying that. When I do a Group Policy results for that PC/user within the Group Policy Management snapin, it says that it was applied.

---------------------------------------
      EDIT: Even though it says applied, I do also get the following error as well...
      Group Policy Infrastructure failed due to the error listed below.

The RPC server is unavailable.

Note: Due to the GP Core failure, none of the other Group Policy components processed their policy. Consequently, status information for the other components is not available.

Additional information may have been logged. Review the Policy Events tab in the console or the application event log for events between 8/6/2009 10:57:20 AM and 8/6/2009 10:57:41 AM.
      ---------------------------------------

Honestly, I forgot about gpupdate /force. If I ran that would that trigger the auto archiving right away? I'm also not sure if this helps or not, but I force shutdown on most computers within the office in an effort to refresh policies on machines as we tweak them.
      Last edited by bweiss; 6th August 2009, 16:59. Reason: added more information

Comment

Presumably you've checked that certain people aren't not getting the GPO due to security/WMI filtering...

gpresult will show you if the policy is meant to be applying or not.

If it is showing as applied, then use gpupdate /force to force the settings to be updated, rather than the 'passive' update which occurs at bootup/login and in the background every 90 minutes.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X