Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [W2K] Add remote desktop users group via GPO

Hello,

I need to create an user group similar to Remote Desktop Users on some Win 2000 Server/Advanced Server systems.

This group will contain a bunch of domain users with restricted permissions, let's say simple users ( no admin powers ). They should just access via terminal services.

I've already prepared a .vbs for creating the user group but, as far as I can see, group policy on W2K are quite different from W2k3. For example, I can't find "Allow log on through Terminal Services".

So I'm stuck now. Keep in mind that these W2k systems will be put in a different OU and the policy will be link only on this one.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Re: [W2K] Add remote desktop users group via GPO

I've not touched Windows 2000 for a good few years, but is the Restricted Groups option available under Computer config > Windows Settings?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
      I've not touched Windows 2000 for a good few years, but is the Restricted Groups option available under Computer config > Windows Settings?
      Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately there's no Restricted Groups on W2k...

Comment

You can use net group to add users to groups. http://ss64.com/nt/net_useradmin.html
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

You can use net group to add users to groups. http://ss64.com/nt/net_useradmin.html
          Adding group and users isn't a problem, what I'm trying to figure out is how to enable this new group to access via terminal services, without giving them admin rights.

Comment

Ah. Based on the thread title and what I interpreted your post to be asking, I thought you were looking for how to add users to the Remote Desktop Users group. Does that not allow them to RDC in?
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Ah. Based on the thread title and what I interpreted your post to be asking, I thought you were looking for how to add users to the Remote Desktop Users group. Does that not allow them to RDC in?
              Problem is that there's no Remote Desktop Users group in Windows 2000, so I've to create a new one and give them similar rights.
              Creating the group is straightforward, adding a policy for "allow log on through terminal services" is not, since this is not present in W2K group policy editor.

Comment

Working...
              X