Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gpo user configuration preferences settings not applied

Hello folks.

I'm currently having some trouble with a gpo that I created on a windows 2008 domain controller. (the only one in the network)

I made a GPO,
    linked it to a test-ou
    put a user (testuser) in the test-ou
    I set the security to apply only to this testuser.
    There is also a wmi filter to make it only work on vista.

The actual settings of the gpo change some defaults in "folder options" and "start menu"
    ie: always showing hidden files, not hiding extentions, removing the pictures folder from the start menu etc.

When I do logon with a laptop in the domain with this domain user (testuser)
    I can see that the gpo is applied using gpresult /v

for testing, I removed the "folder options" via user configuration => policies => administrative templates => components => window explorer => Remove the folder options menu.
    And this is working, no folder options anymore in the control panel.

But: the settings I put for the start menu etc. are not applied.

Now this is a user configuration so I do have to apply this to a user, right? Anyway, applying the policy to a computer is not working either.

bottomline: The gpo is applied but the settings in the start menu and folder options are not applied.

What did I miss? Do I have to enable/disable a specific setting to get this to work? Do I need to install some fix on the client?

thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

regards,

Lieven

Re: gpo user configuration preferences settings not applied

Use rsop.msc to confirm that the settings are not being applied. Check the event logs for any relevant errors. Since the WMI filter restricts the GPO to only targetting Vista machines, presumably the laptop is running Vista?

Originally posted by lieven
    Now this is a user configuration so I do have to apply this to a user, right?
    Correct.

Originally posted by lieven
    Do I need to install some fix on the client?
    Is Windows up to date?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hello,

Did you install the "Client Side Extensions" on the workstation?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943729

HTH,
      Stephen

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I was on holiday but will test your suggestion when I'm back.

kind regards,

Lieven

Comment

Working...
        X