Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deploying itunes via GPO

hi,

i need to deploy itunes software via GPO to 600 PC's now but since they are public computer and people come and go and can login to any PC etc and to make sure itune is secure and legal download etc.. I need to add some security too like

1. Turn off automatic sync of iPods
    2. Disable ripping audio CDs
    3. Disable iTunes Store (with the exception of iTunes U)

these are just few things

now I worked out to to push the .msi file through the GPO but now to add these extra security features

I Know i need to create a custome .ADM file and include that into the admin template in the GPO

but having trouble creating that
    any one done this before?

Re: deploying itunes via GPO

What's the idea behind all of this? In otherwords, why are you deploying iTunes to public computers like that? What research on Apple's support site have you done so far?
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well this is for school and every year we have to install new images for the computers and we included all the softwares in the image. but this request came after the image is done and and there are about 600 computers. Managment wants it done during the term so i am not going to install this software on 600 pc manually. So hence GPO.

I have downloaded the network install guide from apple but its doens't say saything about .ADm files how to create and load etc. Deployment is eays i can push the .msi file and install it no problem.

but i need .ADM file to do all the extra bit of security and preference changes.

example do not wipe the iphone/ipod when syncing or updating etc.

Plus the security iof legal downloads etc.

Originally posted by Wired View Post
      What's the idea behind all of this? In otherwords, why are you deploying iTunes to public computers like that? What research on Apple's support site have you done so far?

Comment

You'll need to figure out where iTunes stores it's settings, which I believe is in a file named iTunesPrefs.XML for iTunes 8. Install iTunes on one machine, configure the preferences the way you want them, then find a way to copy that file to the target machines during the install and set the permissions on the file so that users can read but not write to this file.

I know it sounds cumbersome but this may be the best you can hope for.

Comment

Management wants iTunes on 600 PCs? Alarm bells are ringing....

Seriously, given the amount of assorted crap that iTunes "requires" to run there's no way I'd let it near my network without a cast iron business need for it, or written confirmation from my superiors that they want it installed against my recommendations. Why does it have to be iTunes, what functionality do they require on these PCs?
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Agreed? Have you informed management this is a terrible idea?

I'd do some research and present them with a risk assessment.
            Last edited by bunce; 12th July 2009, 11:51.

Comment

It is an educational environment so probably different rules apply....
              But given it is, and given pupils/students probable attitude to illegal copies of music, I would remove anything and everything that can play media just in case of being found liable for a copyright infringement.
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i still need this done on the public computers

itunes has option where you can disable movies, music and syn etc but everytime computer reboots it loses its settings and goes back to the default.

how do i make this changes lock down? .ADM files or permission on itunes folder or make the changes and copy the registry file and keep forcing it?

which is the best way and how?

Comment

Zrider,

Good luck getting a stock ADM template from Apple. You can create your own ADM and ADMX files though. There are serveral soruces on the net about how to and if you PM me I can send you the title of a good book (I'm not sure the forum's policy regarding posting of products publically).

If all the settings are in an XML file, which I suspect they are. You need to figure out if you can copy an XML file from one machine to another without any adverse affects to the systems or iTunes. If you can, you can use Group Policy Prferences to force updated / "authorized" copies of the appropriate files onto each machine (assuming you have group policy preferences extensions installed on your workstations that are not Windows Vista and Windows 7). You can further use these policy settings to set permissions on the files and folder trees so files can't be modified (although I'm not sure what this would do to the user in the GUI when trying to change a setting or what iTunes changes in the course of running normally).

You might also want to check out this blog post on zdNet:
                  http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=554&page=2
                  about trimming down the iTunes installer. For instance if you're going to centrally manage the settings and settings change version to version, you might not want the apple software installer or the machines always trying to update themselves - which since I hope you're not giving kiosk users administrative rights, would just give them windows installer errors)

Good Luck
                  MarkAtLMFJ

Comment

Working...
                  X