X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software distribution using group policy

Guys,

I have an annoying problem.

I have created an assigned application to all computer objects in active directory. The software is a 1mb file which is an Advanced Agent for our inventory software.

I activated this about 2 weeks ago yet machines that I know have rebooted are only just getting the software installed.

Can anyone tell me why this is? I expected a bit bang of clients to get it installed, and during my testing each machine i rebooted got the software through the policy.

Any help apreciated.

Re: Software distribution using group policy

How many times have the machines been rebooted? Windows XP has "Fast Logon Optimization" which means that it picks up the change to group policies at the first reboot but does not install the managed software or other things that need to run at startup until the next reboot.

You can disable this behaviour in Group Policies at:

"Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon"
    Last edited by beddo; 16th June 2009, 16:53.

Comment

Well, I'm pretty sure the reboot has been done more than twice which is concerning me.

all the test PC's I did were fine and install almost immediatly on reboot but it only seems to be affecting people now its 'en masse'

Comment

Were the test PCs in a different OU than the regular PCs? Are there any other software installation policies on that OU? Have you checked the client PCs to see if there are any related errors?
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Well, yes and no. We have 2 forests containing one domain each but they both trust each other. Computers from one domain were not moved. We structured the rollout so forst tested on the IT department OU which worked fine. Then on another departments OU. The other domain does not have any computer account management so I created an OU, moved a select few computer accounts into this for testing. All seemed to work fine.

We dont have any other software distribution policies in place, this is the first.

I'm not really sure what I should be looking for on the client PC's?

Comment

Originally posted by Aeropars View Post
            Check first if the policy has been applied, if so look for any Msiexec (Windows Installer Service) related errors.
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
              Have you checked the client PCs to see if there are any related errors?
              Originally posted by Aeropars View Post
              Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
              Check first if the policy has been applied, if so look for any Msiexec (Windows Installer Service) related errors.
              Just to clarify, this is all concerning Event Viewer. I'd also look for errors in applying group policy. Like error 1054 or something.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I would also suggest running gpresult or RSOP.msc on one of the machines that is not receiving the policy and verify the machines are receiving it.

-Jason
                MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Run a gpupdate /force /boot as well and see if it applies.

Comment

Thanks so far guys.

I've found a 2000 box which is showing the policy applied when running a gpresult. I've ensured the box has rebooted a few times as well but the software still wont install.

I've checked the Application event log but cant find anything form the MSIEXEC service.

Any further help apreciated.

Comment

I just found out that the computer with this particular problem is low on disk space and has an event log entry to show it. I assume group policy wont try and install any software while its in this state?

I know this is only this machine however we have a whole host of machines which are not pulling down the software. Will it have to be a case of getting on to each and every PC to see why?

Comment

Group policy has no way of knowing the state of the computer nor how much free space is available on the hard drive. The actual installer might though. I would suggest manually installing the software on one of the machines to see if it installs correctly or not. This might give you some idea why it's failing through your GPO.

Comment

Working...
                        X