Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• local administrative rights

Hi guys,

I would like to have the logged on users administrative rights on the local machine.
    I was wondering if a GPO can handle that. I found the Groups Setting in Computer -> Windows Settings and tried to put "everyone" into the local administrator group. That is 50% this comes close, but everyone can connect to any computer, thats not that good. I know that Novell can make this happen... can AD?

thanks,
    Tobias

Re: local administrative rights

You could make it "Domain Users" and restrict things slightly.

Ask yourself, though, why your users REALLY need admin rights!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,
      thanks for your input. The thing is I have software that one of our department needs that will require administrative rights. So instead of putting the users into the local group by hand i would rather do that by GPO or Script, but i do not want to have User X messing with User Y's Management mmc ... Is that even possible or will i have to go for the manual settings?

Comment

Hi All.
        Just add the User Group to the "Restricted group" in GPO.
        Then you can gain the Admin access for the Local System.

Thanks

Comment

Hi,

first of all just add a machine in domain after that just run the following script
          you need to copy this to notepad and save as with .bat extension

@ECHO off
          set user=
          set /P user=Type the user name to whom you want to add in XYZ.com: %=%
          net localgroup administrators XYZ.com\%user% /add

XYZ is your domain name
          you just need to enter the domain user name after running this script.
          that user will automatically added in the local administrator group

Thanx
          Vijay
          ________
          Silver Surfer Review
          Last edited by vsharma; 10th April 2011, 06:36.

Comment

Yes, but this will add a specific user. AIUI the OP wants to add the currently logged on user to local admins, but that user can change
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X