GPO Custom Policy Settings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO Custom Policy Settings

Hi, I was trying to configure a policy to restrict user from using USB thumb drive following the this article http://www.petri.com/disable_usb_disks_with_gpo.htm. But i couldn't find the 'Custom Policy Settings' container under Administrative Templates. I'll really appreciate if anyone can teach me how to turn on this container so that i can follow the rest of the steps to finish the policy. Thank y'all very much.
    Mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open!

Re: Stupid Question... Custom Policy Settings

I did this just recently for one of our employees.. let me check out how I did it again and get back to you.

Hmmmm. I know I did this initially, and I know if I open any policy objects I've created a while ago, these functions appear.
    What i have noticed however, is that if I try and create a NEW policy object, the custom thing doesn't appear even when I follow the instructions.
    This suggests one or maybe two things to me.

1) when i did the gpprep upgrade for Windows 2008, it affected this somehow.
    2) I'm not logged on as Administrator.
    3) an upgrade to the functional level

have you upgraded your domain to 2008 gpprefs ? and are you logged on under an administrative context, or as full administrator ?
    Also.. i upgraded the functional level to full 2003 native not too long ago, but i'm pretty sure I've created that particular policy after this occured, so I don't think it's related.

Check your functional levels though just to be sure..
    Last edited by tehcamel; 5th June 2009, 04:33.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

DONT DOUBLE POST
      I've deleted your thread in the GPO forum
      26 posts and you SHOULD know better
      Warning issued
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry, i really didn't mean it, i was going to apologize because i didn't know how to remove the first post in different room as i found out that GPO might be the right place to ask.

Comment

If you want a thread moved, use the report button at the top right corner of the first post
          The forum mod will be along to move it when they get a chance

I put it here since this one had a reply but I will ask the mod of this forum to move it to GPO
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: GPO Custom Policy Settings

Originally posted by ususim View Post
            Hi, I was trying to configure a policy to restrict user from using USB thumb drive following the this article http://www.petri.com/disable_usb_disks_with_gpo.htm. But i couldn't find the 'Custom Policy Settings' container under Administrative Templates. I'll really appreciate if anyone can teach me how to turn on this container so that i can follow the rest of the steps to finish the policy. Thank y'all very much.
            And you have un-selected the "Only show policy settings that can be fully managed" check-box (as explained in the 2nd 'Note' that you can find on that page)??

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Re: GPO Custom Policy Settings

yes, i've un-select the "Only show policy settings that can be fully managed" check-box, but i still can't see the 'Custom Policy Settings' container

Comment

Working...
              X