Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• time incorrect on server - gpo help

Hi,

My server time is incorrect. I have gone to Computer Config...>Policies>Admin Temp...>System>Windows Time Service and played with the settings but I am not really sure how to correctly set this up.

I want my server to synch with pool.ntp.org and then make all machines in domain synch with server. I only have one DC.

I have googled this , and searched the forums but not finding anything that really makes sense to me... Can anyone please help here?

Allen

Re: time incorrect on server - gpo help

Try these for synching the PDC Emulator to an external source:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216734
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc784553.aspx

And this for general advice:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/w32time/archiv...n-on-time.aspx
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I saw those, but thought it would be best to use GP rather than registry edit. Perhaps I am missing something....

I did use the second method and here is what I get there:

C:\Windows\system32>w32tm /config /manualpeerlist: pool.ntp.org /s - [NOTE, there is NO space between the : and p in pool]
      NUAL
      The command completed successfully.
      C:\Windows\system32>w32tm /config /update
      The command completed successfully.
      C:\Windows\system32>w32tm /resync
      Sending resync command to local computer
      The computer did not resync because no time data was available.
      Last edited by biggles77; 8th June 2009, 11:26. Reason: Fixed smilie and left comment.

Comment

Did you stop and restart the time service?

I have used Regedit successfully but GPO should work -- did you use the Default Domain Controller GPO?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Changed to time.nist.gov,0x8 and the /resync seems to be working now.

I am confused as to what the GPO is for if it's set via this method. I changed all the GPO settings to not configured to make this simpler to troubleshoot... do I need to change them back?

And no, not applying to the native default domain policy, but I have a seperate default domain policy I edit that applies to the entire domain. (prob using incorrect terms here but I hope you understand what I mean).

Comment

The normal way is to apply the time to the Domain Controller holding the PDC Emulator FSMO and then let everything else sync to that in the usual manner. This means if you get partially cut off from internet time servers you will not end up with a skew between the domain controllers and the clients
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Sorry, I don't understand that... I think that was way over my head... can you dumb it down a bit for me... Do I need to edit GPO or just leave them not configured?

Thanks!

Comment

No, as long as the DC holding the PDC role is configured to get it's time source remotely and set to be the authoritative time source, all other workstations/servers will automatically get their time from that DC automatically.
                GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Allen

And for reference, since the "smilies" messed with my post, here is the actual procedure that worked:

w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:"pool.ntp.org" /syncfromflags:manual

w32tm /config /update

w32tm /resync
                  Last edited by chakotay2; 8th June 2009, 05:55.

Comment

Working...
                  X