Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder redirection using GPO

Hi Guys,

We currently have a hundred users all with local admin rights and all currently have roaming profiles.
    The issue is is users profiles are cached to the local pc thus when the next users logs in they are able to browse to the cached profile and view my documents and saved desktops files.
    We have to cache the folder for our.pst files as the exchange server is in a different location.

What I what like to do is setup a GP to redirect the users my documents and desktop to their raoming profile on the server.

How would I go about setting this up?
    I know I need to goto user config/windows settings/folder redirection
    But what settings would I use.

Thanks in advance

Re: Folder redirection using GPO

What's the reason for allowing the users local admin rights? I have never come across a valid reason yet.

Comment

That would be the best way. But there are various application that need to be tweaked to get this done.
      We just looking for a quick fix in the short term to pervent secruity risk until we can create a new desktop build with a model GP to suit

Comment

You can look into Deleting the cached copy of the roaming profile GP setting:
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274152
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

The problem we have with deleting the cache copy is the outlook pst file. Our exchange server is based at a different site and outlook is configured in cache mode.
          Therefore if we delete the cached profile , when everyone logs in at 9am to start work a 100 mailboxes will start to cache from scratch thus killing our network.

Comment

You need to disable the caching. If you allow the caching again, the local admins have the potential to few other emails. Moving the cache to a server share would defeat the object.

Comment

It will be impossible to remove the cache as the pst files for some users are over 2GB. If there was no cache to the local machine then outlook would try to pull this data down every morning when the users log in.

I've manged to get the My Document to redirect by entering \\%userprofile%\My documents into the redirect option in GP.

I've tried doing the same for the desktop but for some reason it's taking the local path rather than the network path. Therefor not redirecting to the file server

Comment

Sorry the main priority at the moment is to prevent users vewing documents. We have alot o users saving files to the my documents folder and desktop. If I can redirect these to the network server which is on the LAN then that prevents users from browsing to high risk documents.
                The pst files is the bit that prevents us from disabling cache to local machine.

Thanks

Comment

All this talk about Outlook in cached mode, pst files, etc. is confusing the issue for you. Just set up folder redirection for My Documents and the Desktop. This will have no affect on the cached ost or pst files. I would recommend creating a new network share and using it for the redirected folders. Have a read at the link below and look specifically at the folder redirection topics. Then go set up your share and configure your GPO to redirect the folders.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...16(WS.10).aspx

Comment

cracked it thanks joeqwerty I needed to enter \\servername\folderwhereprofilesare and thats it.

Comment

Glad you got it worked out.

Comment

You can also disable users from accessing or seeing the C: drive with GPO.
                        GoogleFu is strong with this one ^

Comment

Originally posted by stamandster View Post
                          You can also disable users from accessing or seeing the C: drive with GPO.
                          That could be a good policy to add also. Would this also prevent them installing applications as they are unable to save to the drive.

Comment

Working...
                          X