Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disabling sharing tab

hi,

my network has 2003 domain controller, pl help me configure group policy so that my users cannot share there local drives. In short disabling sharing tab in client systems.

Thanks & Regards

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;242578

One simple search on MS site and you will find everything you need
    MCSE w2k
    MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
    MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Re: disabling sharing tab

Originally posted by afzaluddin
      hi,

my network has 2003 domain controller, pl help me configure group policy so that my users cannot share there local drives. In short disabling sharing tab in client systems.

Thanks & Regards
      I am sorry my friend windux i guess u hvn't understood my question. let me put this way "if u right click any folder, click on sharing, then u will find default share suffixed with $ ok now my problem is that i dont want this sharing tab to appear at all"

Comment

You want to take off the default administrative shares.

run regedt32.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanServer\Paramaters

Double click on AutoShareServer and set it to 0 to disable it for a server.
        Double click on AutoShareWks and set it to 0 to disable it for a workstation.
        If the entries are not present, Add Value of type REG_DWORD. The Range is 0 (disable) or 1 (enable - the default).

ALSO SEE

http://www.petri.com/disable_administrative_shares.htm

MCSE w2k
        MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Dear windux, pls imagine this scenario, u hv installed a domain and configured win2k3 server as gcs along with few group policies for a software dev co. now the devlopers are given win2kprof and winxpprof client systems. In the client systems given to the developers as an administrator u hv to add there login names to the local admin group ok, since there login is now in the local admin group of that client system. the user (developer) can share the drives or folders of that local machine. My requirement is to make that sharing tab disable (grey) so that the devlopers cannot share their drives or folders. Can this task be achieved through group policy....................................."i found an answer in this site http://www.commodore.ca/windows/remo...curity_tab.htm but unfortuantely did not work for me.

Thanks and regards

Comment

On the desktop, double-click on My Computer.
            Double-click on Control Panel.
            Double-click on the Network icon and Dial Up Connections.
            Right-click on Local Area Connection (the one for your internet
            connection / network card) and select properties. If you are unsure which one is for the internet, it is safe to follow these steps on all connections listed.
            The General tab should already be selected. If it isn't, click it to
            select.
            Turn off file sharing and print sharing by clicking each box to remove
            the check marks.
            Click the OK button.
            Click the OK button on the Network window. You may be prompted to
            restart your computer, if you are prompted then click yes.

If they are local admins, you're will never stop the sharing. You need to create another group with special permissions.
            MCSE w2k
            MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Dear windux,

I guess ur not able to understand my requirement. However I must thank you for the effort u hv put in to give solution. Keep up the good work.

If possible pls check out the web link in my above msg.

Thankx & regard.

Mohammed Afzaluddin,
              Network-Administrator.
              HOLOOL - INDIA.

Comment

Re: disabling sharing tab

hi,

Thanks & Regards
                I apologize for Windux, perhaps he's having difficulty comprehending your request.

As far as I am aware there is no way to disable the tab in question. There are several way to disable the security tab, but none for the sharing tab. I spent a bit of time trying to locate the answer on Google groups but no such luck, someone else may yet have the answer.
                Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Do you want the computers to share anything ?

if the clients computers don't need to share things at all

you can disable server service.

once you disable it the sharing tab automatically disappear
                  Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
                  HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
                  the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

Dear friends,

I thank u all for showing such deep interest in the problem i hv posted.

I would like to share this info, I found a prospective solution for the problem at this website http://www.commodore.ca/windows.

Guys if u find time pl visit the above mentioned web site.

Keep up the good work :P .

MD.Afzaluddin,
                    Network Administrator,
                    HOLOOL - INDIA.

Comment

This does not help if the developers have sufficient rights. They can use other tools (beside explorer) to create shares.

Comment

as for afzaluddin, the correct link is http://www.commodore.ca/windows/windows.htm.
                        it seems to be a good one although i didnt checked it.
                        ill come with an opinion after ill check it.

as for wkasdo you're right. the developers should not have any rights to change system configuration in the machines.
                        Good Luck

Shai

HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

Comment

Dear friends,

I thank u all for showing such deep interest in the problem i hv posted.

I would like to share this info, I found a prospective solution for the problem at this website http://www.commodore.ca/windows.

Guys if u find time pl visit the above mentioned web site.

Keep up the good work :P .

MD.Afzaluddin,
                          Network Administrator,
                          HOLOOL - INDIA.

This solution Works!

This is for w2k and XP.
                          MCSE w2k
                          MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

thanks for sharing us the information
                            Good Luck

Shai

HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

Comment

From wkasdo,

This does not help if the developers have sufficient rights. They can use other tools (beside explorer) to create shares.
                              100% right. Admin is god

net share WHAT-CHA-GONNA-DO=C:\LOL

Regards,
                              Teamwork

Comment

Working...
                              X