Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to disable win XP pro client PC USING windows 2003 GPO?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to disable win XP pro client PC USING windows 2003 GPO?

Hello,
    Can someone please help me, I'm running over 200 PC clients part of Windows 2003 Enterprise sp2 AD. However, each of the PC i granted them a Power Users permission so they can perform only certain things. For example, a computer name is : example-john001, a domain name is CHICAGO. I don't want the users to be able to logon the PC locally by using example-john001, they must logon to a domain: CHICAGO to access all network drives. I found very difficult to remind a computer illiterate users not to logon to a PC locally to visible the network drives. Also, if they logon to a machine locally it will override the GPO i configured. Please help if anyone has better solution to disable logon PC locally.

Thank you,
    dykirin

Re: How to disable win XP pro client PC USING windows 2003 GPO?

Perhaps you can try to remove the domain dropdown menu by doing this :

Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon registry subkey.
    From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD value.
    Enter a name of NoDomainUI and press Enter.
    Double-click the new value and set it to 1. Click OK.
    Reboot the machine.

didn't try this myself. But maybe you can use it

bio..

Comment

hi bio,
      thanks for trying to help. it didn't do anything after editing the regedit.

Comment

Originally posted by dykirin View Post
        Hello,
        Can someone please help me, I'm running over 200 PC clients part of Windows 2003 Enterprise sp2 AD. However, each of the PC i granted them a Power Users permission so they can perform only certain things. For example, a computer name is : example-john001, a domain name is CHICAGO. I don't want the users to be able to logon the PC locally by using example-john001, they must logon to a domain: CHICAGO to access all network drives. I found very difficult to remind a computer illiterate users not to logon to a PC locally to visible the network drives. Also, if they logon to a machine locally it will override the GPO i configured. Please help if anyone has better solution to disable logon PC locally.

Thank you,
        dykirin
        If you are using AD users instead of local ones then that shouldn't happen.
        When Domain users logon they are authenticated in the Domain controller security database as opposed to the local computer security database for local users.
        So the big question is wheather you are using local or domain users?
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

hi l4ndy,
          is there a way to disable or eliminate the display of example-john001 after press CTRL + ALT + DEL prior to logon windows?

Thanks,
          dykirin

Comment

I suspect not as this is your back door in if anything happens to the domain

But you could remove all local user accounts except Administrator, give that a strong password and therefore stop someone logging in locally
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,
              You mean remove the user logon ID as a Power User permission? If yes, this will not allow them to change even a desktop settings. Please advise..

Thanks,
              dykirin

Comment

I mean allow only domain accounts to log on to the PC by removing/disabling all local accounts except Administrator

What groups you give domain members is up to you

If I understand your original post, you want people to log on using domain accounts only, not local ones?
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

just make sure there are no local accounts on the machine.

unfortunately - i don't think you can stop the local machine name from appearing in the logon-to box.. so yo ujust have to make sure they cannot authenticate to the local computer by makin sure there's no account..
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi Ossin,
                    Can I post virus infected threat at Petri.co.il? I need help....please advise..

dykirin

Comment

i'm not ossian, or a moderator or anything.. but i'd be inclined to say you would never post a virus thread anywhere.

if you want to start a new thread, and give us some information though, i'm sure we'll try to help.. just keep the infected parts out..
                      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Concur
                        Post a new thread giving as much details as possible, but NO FILES!
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Thread moved to GPO forum.

Comment

Working...
                          X