Creating GPO for user specific locations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating GPO for user specific locations

I'm creating my first GPO, so I apologize in advance for how dumb I am and will sound.

I'm creating a GPO for office 2003 and I'm going through the Custom Installation Wizard and want to change the 'File Locations' default.

Here is my question.
    When a user logs in, it maps drives, and gives them permissions to their private folder.

For Example, when I log in, it gives me access to:
    h:\private\Jeff\*
    I'm the only one with access to that folder.

I'd like to have the GPO be able to 'map' (for lack of a better term) to the private folder for each person that logs in.

So if Fred logs in, opens word and his default file location is h:\private\Fred\word

How do I tell it that the user folder will be changing based on who logs in?
    Last edited by Jeff Cornick; 5th May 2009, 16:51.

Re: Creating GPO for user specific locations

Use the %username% variable so:
    h:\private\%username%\word
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Very good, thanks so much.

Comment

I created the GPO and got it functioning but am surprised that it didn't add shortcuts to the desktop for all users.

Searching around on the web people are writing all sorts of scripts for this to occur...

Can you not add shortcuts to user desktops via GPO?

Comment

You can maybe by getting a script to copy the shortcuts to the user's desktop or by creating your own MSI package and rolling it out via Group Policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Cornick View Post
            I created the GPO and got it functioning but am surprised that it didn't add shortcuts to the desktop for all users.

Searching around on the web people are writing all sorts of scripts for this to occur...

Can you not add shortcuts to user desktops via GPO?

Yes you can, by adding ur shorcut to defaul ALL user profile into the computer.

or

add that to the profile via GPO

or

Add that to the login script

different ways u can achieve this

Comment

That should be "default" user profile (copied to each new user the first time they log on) or to the "all users" profile (visible to every user along with their own profile)
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X