Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO Block USD Modem

Hi,

May I know is that a method to block USB modem by using GPO.
    I would appreciate thae someone can provide the ADM file.

System in My environment consist:

Windows Server 2003 (AD)
    Windows Server 2000
    Windows XP
    Windows Vista

Re: GPO Block USD Modem

Hi,

Have you seen these:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555324 and
    http://www.petri.com/disable_usb_disks_with_gpo.htm
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Re: GPO Block USB Modem

Thanks.
      Actually I had visit both link.

From http://www.petri.com/disable_usb_disks_with_gpo.htm I understand is for block USB storage and it work after testing.

However, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555324 I may need more time to study on how to add administrative template in ADM file...
      Hope can block USB Modem.

Comment

This is a link for disabling USB Storage devices. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823732. I acknowledge that.

However, You could try extrapolating from it:

If a USB storage device is already installed on the computer, set the Start value in the following registry key to 4: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\UsbStor
        When you do this, the USB storage device does not work when the user connects the device to the computer. To set the Start value, follow these steps:
        1. Click Start, and then click Run.
        2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
        3. Locate and then click the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\UsbStor
        4. In the details pane, double-click Start.
        5. In the Value data box, type 4, click Hexadecimal (if it is not already selected), and then click OK.
        6. Exit Registry Editor.

except use:
        HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBEHCI
        HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBHUB
        HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBUCHI
        HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBCCGP

this should set all of those USB drivers to not start up - which may effectively block ANY use of the USB port for anything.

Please note - I have NOT tried this as it would be a pretty effective way to destroy my workstation as I have usb keyboard and mouse.
        (Actually, there's a good reason why it wouldn't work.)

Why don't you just prevent the users from installing any software or drivers ?? that's another way to do it
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I am not exactly sure what USBstor does but based on its name I'd thought it handles the storage side of USB devices and shouldn't have an impact on your USB modem. (Just speculating here).
          Why not try to disable the Modem instead since that's your main objective.
          I haven't actually tried this but maybe if you change the permissions to deny on the Reg key below to deny it should theoretically work.
          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Modem

The setting can be deployed through GPO as well.
          Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Disable USB Modem or Port

Hi all,

I looking a solution to block using USB Modem or Port.
            I had try use administrative template to block USB storage, it successful.

Currently I had another problem is my company user is bring their on USB 3G modem to access internet.

Is there any solution to block USB Modem?
            if not is that any solution to block USB Port?

Thanks

Comment

Re: Disable USB Modem or Port

What server OS are you using?
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

And which workstation OS assuming the requirement is to block on workstations?
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi mate,

Is this the same issue as your previous post? http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=35356

If so, I'd suggest you keep updating that instead of creating a new thread.
                  Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks for the heads up L4ndy. Thread reported.

Comment

Hi all,

Just came back from Holiday.

Currently my environment have using Windows XP, 2000, and Vista.

Hi L4ndy
                      Below setting is set by registry right.
                      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Modem
                      The setting can be deployed through GPO as well.
                      May I know where can I set in GPO?
                      Can GPO set block USB Port directly?

Comment

Hi,

What I would suggest is try the registry change on a single machine first to see if it works (I haven't tried that due to not having such a modem).
                        If it does then come back and we'll look into a way of distributing that reg key change.
                        Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                        X