No announcement yet.

reset all local administrator passwords

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reset all local administrator passwords

dear all,

i have a dc with 300 pcs on it. i would like a script or gpo to reset all the administrator local accounts on each pc to a new password. i have gone throught the forum but i could not find something specific for my case. some people sugest the ristricted groups some a script. can someone please be more specific and supply an example?

thanks in advance

Re: reset all local administrator passwords

Make a .bat file, put it in the computer side login script in a GPO that covers the computer accounts (careful with your DC's) and make the bat file say:

net user administrator <add your password here>

That will set the local administrator password on every computer that runs the GPO.

If there is an easier way to do this, someone please fill me in on it.
    Two things:
    1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
    2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

I cobbled this together from something else I found online.. source unknown sorry.. about the limits of my scripting abilities to far.
      My junior engineer is going to run it this weekend across 10 workstations.

For this one, update the computer names. Run it as a Domain Administrator equivalent user, providing your DA has local admin rights. Kick it off from your staging server or workstation.

You could probbaly modify it to read the Array from a filelist of computers.. I'm just not sure how.

It will prompt you for a password.

Dim NewPWD
      NewPWD = InputBox("Please enter a new local administrator password", "Bulk Local Admin Password Changer")

arrComputers = Array("ComputerA","ComputerB","ComputerC")

for Each strComputer in arrComputers

wscript.Echo "Resetting password on: " & strComputer

set objUser = GetObject("WinNT://" & strComputer &"/Administrator")

Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

This program will do it for a pretty reasonable price:

we use this tool... its fast and free and no hassle with scripts: