No announcement yet.

How to force last login name to appear?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to force last login name to appear?

Greetings,

I have an unusual request for help. A popular GPO security setting is enabling Don't Display Last User Name. What I want to do is the opposite--I want the last login user name to be displayed persistently between log offs, reboots, etc. Why? Because I have non-english speaking users that have enough trouble remembering passwords in English, let alone the login names.

What I tried is _disabling_ the Don't Display Last User Name computer configuration security setting, but that didn't seem to work. After enabling the setting on a test computer, most of the time the last logon name would display properly, but once in a while (maybe after a policy refresh?) it would be erased. When I look into the gpo settings on the test computer I can see that Don't Display Last User Name has been disabled.

Does anybody know what to do about this? I'm beginning to think that what I want to do may be impossible...

Re: How to force last login name to appear?

What OS are you using on the test machine? I would set that setting to "Not Configured" (default) and then try it again on a machine with a fresh load of whatever OS you are using. XP should display the last logged in user by default. I have no clue on Vista. I am still trying to get us completely off of Win98
    Two things:
    1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
    2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

Comment

> What OS are you using on the test machine?

A mixture of is XP SP2/SP3 and 2000 SP4.

> I would set that setting to "Not Configured" (default) and then try it again on a
      > machine with a fresh load of whatever OS you are using. XP should display the
      > last logged in user by default. I have no clue on Vista. I am still trying to get us > completely off of Win98.

Not Configured is what I had it set to originally, but under that setting there were some complaints from folks that sometimes the login username would disappear after a reboot. (I have a feeling that the disappearing username phenomenon is related changes in policy, not 100% sure though). That is why I tried disabling Don't Display Last User Name, but that didn't seem to have an effect.

So if the last login username is supposed to be displayed upon reboot by default, then some other policy (or something) must be overwriting that username value stored in the registry occasionally...?

Comment

Have you done an RSoP and checked if the setting is applied in another policy?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry about the delay in replying.

> Have you done an RSoP and checked if the setting is applied in another policy?

Thank you for the suggestion. I checked the Don't Display Last Login Name policy setting using RSoP on the client and confirmed that it is set to disabled.

If it is indeed true that disabling the Don't Display Last Login Name will result in the last login name being shown persistently between reboots/logouts/etc. (I wasn't clear on this fact due to the double negative) then I suppose something else is wrong. Or maybe nothing is wrong (I haven't heard any complaints from people lately). I suppose that's what I really wanted to confirm--whether or not disabling the Don't Display Last Login Name will result in the last login name being shown by default.

Comment

I applied new policy yesterday and user login names disappeared again. There definitely seems to be a correlation between applying new policy and user login names disappearing. This is not normal, right? Why do you think this is happening? The last user login name value must be stored in the registry somewhere, but then it is being overwritten (or cleared out) when new policy is applied. Where is the user login name value being stored? When is the value being written/overwritten? I've searched the web but have found nothing on this topic...

Comment

Working...
            X