GPO link

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO link

Ok I know this is a stupid question, but I don't know much about GPO implementation (yet) but I need to get this one solved quickly so I figured I would ask for some help. I just created a GPO for all my WSUS settings (just installed WSUS) how do I link it to my OU and have it override any settings in the other GPO's for what I have configured (only Windows Update stuff) Below is the screenshot of my GPO & My OU, the policy

Be easy on me, I'm here to learn

Re: GPO link

Hi there,

Your GPO "WSUS" is linked to the domain, so it will apply to everything below it excluding the OU where the inheritance is being blocked (unless you have configured it within there also)
    You could also disable the User Settings for this, as they are not required for WSUS.
    If WSUS itself is set-up, you may wish to check it is being picked up on a client.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
      Hi there,

Your GPO "WSUS" is linked to the domain, so it will apply to everything below it excluding the OU where the inheritance is being blocked (unless you have configured it within there also)
      You could also disable the User Settings for this, as they are not required for WSUS.
      If WSUS itself is set-up, you may wish to check it is being picked up on a client.

Hope this helps.
      Even though "Enforced" is set to "No"?

What OU is the inheritance being blocked?

What do you mean about disabling user settings?

Comment

Originally posted by brcmadmin View Post
        Even though "Enforced" is set to "No"?

enforced, no means that any configuration is not being forced past an OU that is trying to block something if that makes sense!

What OU is the inheritance being blocked?

On second look, the domain is blocking inheritance as well as the OU "Kenesis" (cannot see exact spelling due to red line)

What do you mean about disabling user settings?

When a GPO is processed, two sets of configuration (user and computer) are checked. If none of the configuration has been altered in user or computer, you have the option to prevent it from running saving log on time.
        Hope this helps, more experienced help on it's way!

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
          Hope this helps, more experienced help on it's way!
          Okay so I get my first question about Enforced makes sense now

Also get the second question

Third question I think you are saying to disable the User Settings portion of my WSUS GPO right? How do I do that?

So basically GPO's are applied by hierarchy? From top to bottom?

Comment

On the details tab at the bottom it says "GPO Status" You can change the options by clicking on the drop down button.

GPO's are hieracle, yes. Default domain downwards to the local policy of the computer.

Some links which may help you;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc787386.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc739343.aspx

Simon

Comment

How would I make this not apply to the server in my environment?

Comment

Originally posted by brcmadmin View Post
                How would I make this not apply to the server in my environment?
                By linking the GPO to the desired OU's. The domain controllers will be in their own, as should the member servers.

Comment

Working...
                X