Blocking printer install via GPO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking printer install via GPO

Can anyone point me in the right direction or tell me how I can block the instillation of printers with GPO? We currently run a citrix environment with WISE terminals & standard Win XP Pro PCís. The set-ups are as follows:

Citrix:
    Access to the printers & faxes folder is removed & the userís printers are mapped via the start-up script when they log on. However they can still install printers manually through the print settings window on some applications.

Desktop PCís:
    Users have full access to the printers & faxes window and can install printers freely.

Do I need to install a print server on the Domain controller or is this a really simple thing to achieve?

Re: Blocking printer install via GPO

Hi,
    You can block printer installation for users who are logging into the Citrix servers by the following steps:
    1. Create a GPO and apply it on the OU that contains the computer accounts of the Citrix servers
    2. In this GPO, expand: Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> System --> Group Poliy --> User group policy loopback pro... --> Enable --> Merge
    3. on the same GPO, expand: User Configuration--> Administrative Templates --> Control Panel --> Printers --> Prevent addition of printers --> Enable

Enter gpupdate on the citrix server or simply wait for the background refresh of group policy.

That should be it.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart-X View Post
      Hi,
      You can block printer installation for users who are logging into the Citrix servers by the following steps:
      1. Create a GPO and apply it on the OU that contains the computer accounts of the Citrix servers
      2. In this GPO, expand: Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> System --> Group Poliy --> User group policy loopback pro... --> Enable --> Merge
      3. on the same GPO, expand: User Configuration--> Administrative Templates --> Control Panel --> Printers --> Prevent addition of printers --> Enable

Enter gpupdate on the citrix server or simply wait for the background refresh of group policy.

That should be it.
      Will this still allow the script to add printers?

Comment

Thanks for the reply, works a treat

The printers are still mapped, it greys out the "Add Printer" or "Search for Printer" buttons

Comment

Working...
        X