• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deny network access, but allow internet connectivity

Hi all,

i'm in a bit of a tricky situation that needs urget addressing

that is:
    we have a windows network running, and up to 60 client pc's running xp on it. these computers can browse and play all they want. One PC, however, has a restricted role. For this role, and the users that will be headlining it, it is required that this PC NOT be able to access network shares, regardless of users who log on. The users MUST, however, be allowed to browse the internet. :S

it's a pretty tricky situation. Currently i have tried setting a "deny" security rule on the network share host (pointing to the computer FQDN), with no success (?!?). The other option is that there must be a group policy rule somewhere (surely?) that denies a domain client computer access to network shares on a computer configuration level?!?

if you have an idea as to where, or how to apply this - please please pleaase let me know.
    i'm open to any other suggestions...

cheers,

vin

Re: deny network access, but allow internet connectivity

You could use a GPO for this pc and set the workstation service to disabled. This will block the computer from accessing network shares. This might also restrict the ability of the pc to logon to the domain as the user needs access to the sysvol share on the DC in order to log in to the domain. Give it a try and see if it works.

Comment

that is pretty much the greatest solution ever in history!!!
      absolutely perfect!!!

kudos joe

Comment

It sounds great, but did it work?

Comment

sure did joe

thanks again

Comment

Glad to help.