Enforcing username input at Windows log on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enforcing username input at Windows log on

Does anyone know how to make the user input their domain user name every time they log onto Windows XP using a GPO or other means? I want the users to memorize their user names so I can log in as administrator and not have to worry about whether or not that user remembers their user name. Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Enforcing username input at Windows log on

You can use a computer startup script to edit some of the values in:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
    -> "AltDefaultUserName"
    -> "AltDefaultDomainName"
    -> "DefaultUserName"
    -> "DefaultDomainName"
    The script should retrieve the default username from a "Computername=>Default user" reference. This could be a comma separated list with names that you created - OR - an attribute the script can read from the computerobject in AD where you manualy entered the accountname of the default user.

And also, if a value name "DontDisplayLastUserName" (= DWORD Value) exist in
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\System
    , then change the value of it to: 0

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Originally posted by bodkyn View Post
      Does anyone know how to make the user input their domain user name every time they log onto Windows XP using a GPO or other means? I want the users to memorize their user names so I can log in as administrator and not have to worry about whether or not that user remembers their user name. Any help would be appreciated!
      Computer configuration... Windows Settings... Local Policies... Security Options... "Don't display last user name at logon" - enable this setting.

This setting is present in the local security policy and also in GPOs.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
        Computer configuration... Windows Settings... Local Policies... Security Options... "Don't display last user name at logon" - enable this setting.

This setting is present in the local security policy and also in GPOs.
        You're right Stone, I wasn't reading the question correctly.

To not display a username at all,
        The value of "DontDisplayLastUserName" should be set to 1 in the key
        HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\System
        (simply by configure the GPO like Stonelaughter mensioned)

\Rems
        Last edited by Rems; 4th March 2009, 07:19.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Sorry guys, but this isn't working. I did exactly as you said through a GPO and no luck. Any suggestions?

Comment

You've created a GPO containing this setting. You've enabled "Computer Settings" in the GPO. You've linked the GPO to the relevant OU, the computer you're testing on is in this OU and has been rebooted after the local DC has replicated...?

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Make sure that the GPO is linked to the OU where the Computer accounts reside, not the user accounts.
              Also, make sure that you dont' have any 'Block inheritence' settings.
              If it still doesn't work for you, type gpresult /scope computer at one of the computers and post back the output of the command. Also, please specify the name of the GPO where you set the DontDisplayLastUserName.

Comment

That worked thanks!!!! Thanks to all you guys for your help!

Comment

Working...
                X